Thursday, July 12, 2018

Riding the Cool Train





I stretched my attendance at the coffee klatch this morning to almost an hour. I've noticed a pattern over the weeks I've attended Thursday morning coffee that is everyone starts cutting out about 30 minutes into the event. It seems that like everyone else has somewhere to go. This morning Irene had made sausage gravy on baking soda biscuits one of my favorite dishes in the whole world. Probably more calories than I needed but sometimes I must have sausage gravy on baking soda biscuits.

I returned to the apartment and called UTA lost and found and sure enough by bus pass has been found and was waiting for me at “Lost and Found” , downtown at the Salt Lake Central modalhub.I was so excited to get my bus pass back but I just headed out to the hub. Even though I had a good three hours to kill before I have to be down to West Jordan library I knew I stay focused and time to get away from me. Salt Lake is still under quite the heat dome. I had not paid much attention over the last week or so but I heard a number of comments about how homeless folk and folks that are low income are flocking to the public libraries and the Trax train system in order to stay cool. I get this, still I am somewhat shocked when I am confronted with this phenomenon face to face. I've included a couple of images of folks riding the train for a little comfort. I am also enclosing an image of a fellow who I thought looked pretty good. I wish I looked like this guy. I wish I wore clothes that fit properly. I could tell his fellow had some significant disability but his disability did not stand in his way of looking good. I lost my bus pass Tuesday morning and so I've been very self-conscious getting on and off the bus as well as right to train without proper proof of purchase. I still had three or four tokens bus coupons that my good friend Sherry gave me a couple weeks ago but did not want to spend them until I absolutely have to. I can usually slink off the bus because the driver is always out of his seat and over at the wheelchair station preparing to lock me down when I get back to that area. If the drive is having a bad day don't notice I didn't “Tap on” and he will challenge me. Again many times the driver knows or seen my bus pass, he knows that I have one – – mind you this only happens when the drivers had a bad day or the brand-new and believe everything told him at orientation.

I was so elated at having my bus pass back I bought a watermelon. This the first watermelon I purchased that I carried on on my chair I was not sure I'd be able to pull it off but I did! I did all this before I headed out for “First Chapter” I've had a very busy day in the heat.

No comments: