Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pioneer Day 2018



I don't know what to think. I've been waiting at my apartment all day for a visit from someone who is going to help me clean the drawer that fell to the floor earlier this week. Not that I was going to do anything today but I could have in fact I was entertained the idea of going to the latest Jurassic Park offering. Oh well, something must've come up. I just hope everything's okay. I know that his wife is getting close to near death and I know that keeps him tethered to the house. I just hope he's alright.

Today's Pioneer day, sort of like founders day for the state of Utah. Typically the day is celebrated with a gigantic parade in downtown Salt Lake it's a world-class parade televised and everything. As riotous holidays go Pioneer day is on the same level as the Fourth of July but I'm not hearing near the level of explosive exuberance as I usually do about this time of the holiday. It's nearly dark and by now I usually hear explosions resounding all around this neighborhood but so far all I can hear is the raucous adolescence from the skateboard park across from my apartment. Mostly adolescent boys taking the same ride on skateboard or bike over and over and over. Isn't this the definition some mental health issue? But no explosions not yet anyway.

The only thing I can think of- in this is way harder for me to believe-but maybe just maybe the idiots and finally got it through their heads that it is too dry and hot to safely launch fireworks except in massively controlled environments like the city sanctioned fireworks show. There is actually a major brushfire up by the capital building today! A few houses came close to being incinerated but they were able to knock the fire down and time. The whole Western region of the US is on fire it seems. There's been coverage of these blazing areas on all news programs. It is the driest I have ever seen. So hopefully people have gotten together and are not going to launch these mega firework displays that is been the fad of these last couple years.

Evidently I spoke too soon. Sigh, I've heard a couple of reports of fireworks exploding. Still nothing like I've heard in years past so maybe there's hope we get by without a major incident.

No comments: