Thursday, July 04, 2019

Messy Artist



It's the Fourth of July and I feel like a double winner not only is it national holiday in the day where I could just kick back and not feel guilty – – well sort of not feel guilty – – and the holiday falls on one of my class days. Which means no class which means no assignment due which means no stress to be perfect. I know this sounds irrational especially sense I worked so hard to get myself into this position. In all honesty, I did not consider that this is really going to be a work oriented project. Little did I know about making art the copious way.

There has been a couple of instances in this drawing class which kind of put the intimidation factor on me. The most significant was when the instructor, Brenden warned us that we had to have a pencil sharp because we had to be as exact and are markings as possible for the project to come out right. Another time Brenden indicated we needed to make sure our papers were fixated exactly square on our boards. I'm not sure if Brenden has ever really looked at me I'm not a whole lot in the “exact” arena of doing things. I'm just glad when I get close to what I would like to do. I can see now that many ways there is need for exact drawing, maybe the great artist depictions, drafters, architects and the like. I'm never sure if Brenden is mocking the class when Brendan asks the class if we are having fun. The maze drawing assignment was a great example of this. The lines had to be fairly exact for the image to take shape. I've done the image twice and that's all I'm going to do and I still have not been able to develop the maze. Then this morning as I was listening to National Public Radio and the commentator m ade a comment about something being messy or being practiced messy or something like that which revealed to me a profound insight. I mean I know I messy I always have been short discussed that and in the number of blogs postings everything from my desk, my bedroom even my handwriting. I can't expect to be precise the matter how hard I try. It's just not in me. I reel that I was a messy artist. That's my style that's who I am. As soon as I acknowledge this to myself I felt weight lift off my shoulders. I have nothing against the precise people of this planet. Brendan is precise, he loves to draw a line straighter than straight perfect from one angle to the next from the FP point to the vanishing point a perfect ray. As much as I envy the works of our precise mind I realize that is not me.

We are halfway through semester. I'm so thankful to have an extra day or so to work on my maze project and we have to hand in our profile/portrait assignment this coming Tuesday. Should've been today but do the holiday it will be Tuesday. I of course will not produce a work of art. I will have this weird thing scratched onto my white paper I hope showing the best of intentions. The maze look fuzzy at best with numerous erasing's and battered paper. Poor Godfrey, the student who sat for me, will have to just accept the image of his face as I see it and how I can wraw it at this point in time. And realize I did my best and except that I'm just a… Messy artist :-)



No comments: