Friday, July 12, 2019

Seems Like Larry To Me




His name is Mike but Mike seems like a Larry to me.

For the past week or so my charity but making weird noises and they become louder and louder and sometimes scaring me like something horrible is going to happen to my power chair at any moment. I just had the chair worked on so I couldn't figure out what could be the problem. So when my brother came over to actually work on my backup power chair I had him look at my current chair he eventually found that my right rear caster did not seem to be turning. I had been making plans the back of my mind for a couple weeks to get over to U A T F which used to be the CreATE(The program from Utah State University which are utilizes disability equipment and makes it available to the public.) I had somehow flattened one section of my front caster so that every time the wheel spun around I was subjected to a “clunk”. This really jarred my teeth and actually were me out. I'd spoken with Tom the guy who runs the joint and he said he would or could replace the caster for $15. I figured well why not replace the one caster find out what was wrong with the other

Monday was a nice day for me, I'd had a fairly good experience with my home health person was showering etc. and I was set to start the day.. When I got to UATF I was initially disappointed because Tom was on extended Fourth of July holiday. I really wanted to change that caster if nothing else. Skinny dude older not as old as I got older, I thought was a volunteer, was all by himself listening to rock 'n roll in Tom's stead.. He informed me Tom is gone but he be willing to work with me what I needed. Almost immediately we had some kind of a bond. We spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out what the noise was on my chair until he finally realized the back caster had seized. At last the Off the housing and the bearings had seized and no longer turned and each time I forced the wheel to spin there is a giant cracking sound from the ball bearings being forced to move. I didn't understand this exactly I thought it was the wheel that was not spinning around and around of what is actually was it was the axle that held the wheel onto the chair perpendicular, that's what it seized up. There is no way for me get out of my chair and I sure didn't want Mike to try to lift me but we figured out a system and a way to lift the chair up to one side and put bracing under the frame allowing Mike to change out the one caster and then work for an hour to not only free the other caster from it seized condition but then have to manufacture materials to get the bearings functional again. I don't know what Tom would've done had he been there but I don't think he would've put the work into the project that Mike did so I was really fortunate Mike was on the job today and Thomas gone.

We talked for some time it was fun I enjoyed visiting with Mike. He should charge me $15 at least for the caster he replaced. However, Mike said he did not how to do this and that I could take this up with Tom when Tom got back from vacation and I plan to do just that.. It felt wonderful driving my power chair out the door and out to the bus stop with no “thump thump thump”. I was really pleased to have the horrible screeching noise gone as well best of all I enjoyed powered my chair top speed with the wind blowing through my hair – – what little there is – – and thinking of my new friend Mike hope that he really works out with UATF…




No comments: