Tuesday, July 16, 2019

"Shut the Damn Door!



Do you notice in this image the door to the apartment patio is closed. I don't know if I'm blocking the heat of summer out or keeping in the manufactured cool of the apartment. The window in my bedroom is wide open and I know that somewhere in another reality my parents are consoling each other for a child who's gone astray.

Once again, the reader who is stuck with me all these years know that I am the son of a union sheet-metal worker. A heating and cooling servicemen. He made sure people with nonworking furnaces are coolers got there systems up and working fast. I am pleased to report that we always had heat and we always had cool air in the summer. However, it all came at a cost. In the winter it was not so bad after all good knowingly leave their windows open to he precious commodity heat escape a true life example the metaphor “going up in smoke”. However in the summer, that was another question. As far back as I can remember I've loved to have the front door open. Windows also were nice cancel that have open. I was willing to compromise I would to deal with the screen door as opposed to having the door shut completely. Spring and fall was nice with the front door open listing to the world and watching the outside. However, once the heat started we cranked up the old air conditioner which is at the back of the house. I don't know how dad got this air-conditioner but it was huge, one of the old ones with the insulation or whatever which had to be watered down every couple of hours if he didn't have a direct waterline into the cooler. We did not for some time which is kind of weird. It's that small copper tube which usually runs from someplace like the utility room and snakes through the house and out and finally links to the water pump in the cooler. It was my job to drag the hose around and spray water on the pads every couple hours. The water was freezing cold it seemed like even in the hot summer. But once the pads of been drenched the house was filled with near freezing air or so it seemed. But, it seemed we are under pain of death if we left the front door open and the precious commodity escaped. How would a closed-door just does not seem natural. I get claustrophobic.

Last summer I think I only used the air-conditioner once and that was when my home healthcare person gave me the ultimatum to cool the apartment to a sufferable point are she would no longer work as a home health person. A week and a half ago my.Stop through on his way to Blackfoot. I want to be a good host so I tried to cool down my apartment and my equipment did not work. I submitted a request and was informed that my heating/cooling equipment (like many others of this apartment complex) has not really been maintained, as they should, for nine years. The maintenance guy actually drained a bucket of black gunk from my unit. The guy nearly trashed my apartment trying to get to the furnace/air conditioner to install new pads are whatever they stick in their which is different, I guess, then but they replaced two weeks ago. He finally got the unit working and I got the place down to 72°, the same temperature as the hallway, I guess this is level. I was informed that if I was going to run my air conditioner I need to have everything shot windows as well as patio door. Right now, I have the door closed and I'm using the little oscillating fan I was provided with to get me over the hump. I have my door closed and the room seems to be cooling and I don't have too much stress not been able to access my patio by site. But I'm not telling management and they haven't found out as yet but I have the window to my bedroom wide-open and I'm sure my cool air is flowing out and my parents are shaking their heads wherever they are…

No comments: