Sunday, March 15, 2020

CB&C





One of the best things about being an adult is that array of food things that kids don't like. I don't say this to be malicious just nice liking stuff at the younger set doesn't everything from beets to broccoli. It's true when I was a kid I hated buttermilk I cannot believe people ingested a liquid that coded a glass the way that it did. I felt the same with sauerkraut, kippers and corned beef and cabbage and don't forget bread and milk. There are a host of other items that I can't remember right now and some of those outages still cannot tolerate like liver and onions in some kind of German meat paste this got the word “Brat” in it. These of course were all delicacies my family or my parents loved. I kind of drew the line at the inner body parts of animals including brains.

For some reason most kids don't like corned beef and cabbage, and to be fair love adults feel the same way, maybe because it used to be such a poor man's food source. I mean when the comic strips I grew up with “Bringing Up Father” a.k.a. Maggie and Jigs about this blue-collar worker or maybe even poor somehow struck a big and were upper-middle-class and how he always stop at a bar where he could pick up a pail of corned beef and cabbage to his wife consternation and humiliation. Anyway, I love corned beef and cabbage. Again, the devoted reader can research a post I did a few years back about corned beef and cabbage and how I enjoy this dish.

I was kind of hoping I could share corned beef and cabbage with Dianne this year. St. Patrick's Day is in a couple of days which would've been a perfect time. But since she will be in rehabilitation recovering from her knee surgery that's not going to happen. Fortunately for me, my next-door neighbor or neighbor across the hall likes corned beef and cabbage too. Yesterday we decided we would cook the meal between us. Last night I ventured across the street and found a nice piece of corned beef and Billie cooked meal up this morning. She brought me over a plate just now. I apportion but I think I'll save the rest to hash up for breakfast world's first days. I enjoy doing this this home made hash I'm thinking I will use cabbage left over from the dish. I must admit I do like corned beef hash out of the can covered in catsup served with two eggs, fried over easy, and two pieces of wheat toast it doesn't get better than this.(I'm just a side note I remember a couple of times I've had breakfast and high-end restaurants and they offered corn beef hash and what I got was good and indeed it was hash made with corned beef but the corned beef was actual beef cut from the brisket and shredded up the as best as they could which I'm sure was high-end. They would never use corned beef from the can and beefs from South America.

Once again I veered off topic but that's me and you've got except that. I still come back to the topic of adult pleasures and adult tastes and for me nothing beats corned beef and cabbage in March.

No comments: