Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Death and TAXES



You want to hear something scary? I haven't filed my income tax return for at least three years and most likely four. To be totally honest I don't really know how. I know how does a grown man did to be almost 70 years old and not know how to file his taxes? Well, truth is DD has filed our taxes for the past almost 30 years. So when we split up some four years ago on my own. The retired I figured I did not make enough money to even worry about taxes and the few other seniors I've talked to sort of indicated the same. I figured it was a perk of age. I didn't really think the process through and besides the process, quite frankly, terrifies me.

I just finished my Assist, Inc. meeting was on the train heading home when I got a text from DD was pretty excited because she just finish filling out her taxes. Dred flooded over me as I listened her about getting a significant refund. DD encouraged me to be swift on filling out I taxes is assuredly I had a sizable refund as well. I hemmed and awed And finally confessed that I probably would not file. Needless to say she was dumbfounded. Why would I leave a significant amount of MY money on the table. I told her just was not worth it to me. Filing my federal return was not worth the stress. DD then begin the hard sell and she can be a great salesperson and she wants to be. And I began to waver thinking maybe I might return/refund. The more I began thinking about my life the more I began thinking about how much I am paying out for medical, prescriptions, rehab, durable medical equipment, dental, and perhaps the biggest of all home health care! Somewhere, among all that money going out there has to be a way to suck some of that money back in. Dianne told me about this free software that exists out there liks Intuit Turbo tax and other bits of free software. There's even tax people over at the senior center if I were to go over. There's all kinds of resources I need to stop playing the fool.

This means of course I'm going to have to pull together all my bills are payments or whatever I'm going to need. It's I know from say having to pull together stuff for my rent qualification every year that I have a lot of this material stashed away and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put together the record is best that I can. I can call my dentist, my Mds and home health folks who all have records of what I pay. Dianne, bless her heart has actually worked very diligently with software for like bookkeeping to help with this and I should be able to figure this out . I used these spreadsheet software programs when I was working and had to put together monthly and year-end reports/have a basic feel. I've just never use this software for something really important like my personal taxes. I'm not feeling so bad now as I face this monster of possible filing a federal and state taxes. Who knows maybe a good enough to cover one or two months home healthcare… Thanks Dianne for all your encouragement!

No comments: