Wednesday, March 04, 2020

What's The SKINny?



In an effort to not focus on a possible wound on my rear end which surfaced this morning during my shower trying to find anything to write about that will take my mind off of skin breakdown. Well actually maybe that's what I do need to write about: skin breakdown.

Irresponsibly, I have not a blog review to see how much of what I've written about skin breakdown and more specifically my skin breakdown. In fact I was not going to write about skin breakdown is going to write about bread and making bread. But it's looking like decubitus is winning out for blog of the day. Don't fret because I still want to write about bread maybe not so much my history of making bread but the concept of making bread in respect to a new podcast I found today.

Skin breakdown are decubitus ulcers is one of the most horrific and terrifying events person with spinal cord injury can endure. I don't mean to sound melodramatic about the whole issue but for me that's how I feel. I have come to the sad realization of the site age my skin becomes more and more at risk. And butt skin is perhaps the most risky of all. Skin breakdown on the rear end is probably negatively impacted the entire time a person is sitting erect and putting pressure on that would. Other typical places for the wounds of decubitus include elbows and knees and ankles/heels anyplace were those pressure placed on the skin especially the buttocks. Even pressure as innocent as laying in bed. We knew that my skin was in jeopardy Monday when we applied new dressings to my rear end. I was feeling my butt getting tender and we applied a new dressing them. Annette indicated that the skin was “angry” and put on the new dressing after some vigorous washing of the area. This morning when she checked the dressing the ends of rolled up which I figured was putting extreme pressure on the skin but the rest of the dressing was still fairly securely attached. I think will be pulled the dressing of skint good skin was pulled off with it resulted in a pinprick wound. We applied the new dressing with the hopes of checking on Friday to see new growth. I of course am hypersensitive to that area now and feel that anything I do is going to irritate that area. So, since I'm up in my power chair trying to be as horizontals like can be first long as I can be taking the weight off my buttocks as I can short of going to bed.

I congeal myself I telling my mind that I've done pretty good I've gone a significant amount of time without serious wounds. I tried to ameliorate the seriousness or potentiality crisis by saying to myself “look, worst-case scenario you just go to bed for a couple weeks”. The sounds easy but I would go crazy especially if this is during the summer months. There is no good time to be bedbound however, that's what I go do that's what I got a do. I should look to DD who is a great example of someone who is being quite heroic regarding having to be bound to bed for a period of time as she begins her knee replacement therapies in the next couple weeks. She will have to be down in bed for I don't know how long but she suddenly take it like a champ especially since she has to do this all alone. Even I, can no longer access the house I could've helped her. I wish you had some support. I just have to go to bed (if that's what it's going to take). Getting up only to use the restroom and possibly grab some meals or whatever and maybe do my arm bike – – I'm doing 40 – 30 minute sessions now. The first three days the week is 40 minutes followed by three days of 30 minutes adding up to almost 200 minutes of our time which I think is important to maintain even at the cost of skin irritation.

Skin breakdown is just a new level of issues I we worried about. DD and her knee replacements, coronavirus and its impact on the world economy which means its impact on me in my economy especially things like catheters, wheelchairs under the else disability to say nothing of what would happen if the electric gridwere to go down. All my electrical would be in jeopardy: desktop, laptop and various handheld devices. Power of first the bed in a wheelchair and then I can worry about everything else. Maybe that's enough for today and go out and read in the sun. The still snow on the ground but the temperatures up in the upper 40s down with lots of sunshine and ability to work on my tan…

No comments: