Saturday, March 14, 2020

It's Not Personal



You know that old saying “Everything's local”? I guess I always sort of knew what it meant didn't really ever pertain to me so I didn't put a lot of thought into the meaning of that phrase but now they seem to be dealing with this Coronavirus thing on a personal level. So I guess what was out there pandemic wise, world wise, national wise is no filter down to the neighborhood. And I'm kind of wondering if the whole Corona virus thing is just a major excuse So producers and providers can just slack off. Maybe I'm sounding jaded I don't know all I know isuses come home to roost and it's bugging the hell out of me.

One cannot help but see snatches of news bites on the Internet of long lines of people at the Cosco store or shelves and shelves at the local market, vacant as the look of a debutantes eyes. Local news carrying the same scenes accept the explain a little bit better what's happening on the local level. I really haven't been to the market much this last week so I didn't really pay much attention and besides the market that are usually patronize called the Fresh Market is undergoing a major ownership change in facelift. They're going down to a third of its size and so they're doing a major refit. Everything's torn up friezes are moved from one end to the other and there seems to be a lot of empty shelving. So it's been somewhat difficult to ascertain what is rehab and what is the virus. I actually baked baked biscuits and he upgraded this morning. I worked out and by the time for my cleaning person to get here I had an itch to get out of the house/apartment to get a few things for the weekend i.e. so I don't have to mess with the Sabbath. So I was off to the market. And granted, there is a lot of empty shelving when I got to the market . But the meat vendor, guys cells the exotic smoke/barbecued brisket in such was there but there weren't a lot of folks around him as usual and there were no samples. I decided I would get my list and head back home being pleased to gotten out and away from from the apartments in for a little bit. That's when I really noticed that seemingly the things I am interested in the market didn't have. There were no bananas! There's usually a giant pile of bananas. Rolled around the store twice looking for bananas thinking they may haveem somewhere else while renovating. I figured it'd be good to get another package of Lynn Wilson frozen burritos and they were gone. I had to look closely because I noted earlier in the week when I was there but the burritos were no longer in their regular station in fact the whole station was gone. Finally I asked where they were at the store person said they were out. I got the same answer when I asked about the bananas. I did find a loaf of the bread I usually use but there's only two loaves left and hardly any other loaves of bread and the bread section. When I asked the store people who said it was all because of the virus. It does not make sense to me. I'm sure Lynn Wilson had a pile of burritos made up before the virus hit and bananas just don't stop coming. I know there's a warehouse somewhere full of green green bananas. Am I in denial? Do I not want to admit the viruses come home to Salt Lake County? It's here baby! The effects of the coronavirus is in my neighborhood that my local market, my library shut down and who knows what else will be closed tomorrow.?. I'm certain I can live a couple days without my bananas (the girl who works in the garden section says a new shipment should be in by tomorrow. Hopefully Monday I can get some bananas I have one left on my table I should be able to make it. I'm pretty lucky I still have a pantry pretty much full of soups, vegetables and meats and some seafood cans. I wish I had a sack of flour but I do have a red can of Turkey red wheat had for over 30 years and I have a hand wheat mill. It will take a while but I could grind enough flour to make my bread. It's not personal it's just the virus…

No comments: