Monday, March 02, 2020

Sunday Roast



Today is a dark and cold Monday I mean what can one expect after yesterday's snowfall. I start getting antsy for spring about this time every year I have to remind myself that technically speaking we are still in the last of the winter season. We have almost 3 more weeks before the official start of spring however this coming Sunday will begin daylight savings time. I don't know if I'm a big fan of daylight savings time one where the other but I like the change the abrupt extension of daylight hours at the end of the day on change day. Mornings you don't see that much of a change early on but that'll come to. Perhaps I would not feel so melancholy if the summer out. I can deal with a lot that the sun is out. Now however it's just gray, some black and a lot of white for the snowstorm still.

I don't know why I'm so excited. Perhaps it's because my meeting tomorrow morning has been put off till next week and my book club on Thursday is canceled because of other issues going on with Gov.'s Council. Essentially that frees up my week. Already however I have Thursday plugged in DD is coming over and were going to cook shrimp.. DD has a lot of shrimp and it will make a fun doing I'm sure. Also, warm weather is slated for the end of the week, at least warmer weather than were having now. So I have much to look forward to a week to enjoy my power chair, my apartment, my family, my friends and my life!

I cooked yesterday. Couple weeks ago I picked two tri-tip roasts. A cooked one about two weeks ago and I put it in the crockpot which is something I love to do but right now I'm more interested in producing a piece of meat that is slice-able. Want to be able to cut roast beef thin enough for sandwiches. What I end up getting is a piece of meat that is great the taste but sort of falls apart. It's great roast for like possibly tacos, just generally roast beef gravy and mashed potatoes. It's good I sure enjoy it but it's not what I've been shooting for. The roast this weekend I elected use a bag. I was surprised to find I had numerous roasting bags but knows closing our cinching tools – – you know like a Ziploc device that will cinch the bag shut. I ended up using a clothes pin and it worked! I cooked it at 325° but I think I overcooked it. The meat only had to get to 145° inside but when I finally tested the roast it was like 160 280°. The meat was not falling apart but it wasn't holding together as well as I would have liked.. I pulled off enough for great roast beef potato and broccoli dinner which was yummy. I of course refrigerated everything maybe today the middle slice better if not I will certainly enjoy what I turned out. I really was kind of bummed because I was looking forward to utilizing the juices which collects in the bag, from the cooking, the mix with a bottle of beef gravy I picked up at the market. That was not to be since I lost all the gravy was trying to port into a container. I should've tried to harvest the gravy as soon as I took the roast out but I left the gravy in the bag to set for a number of hours and tried to collect the drippings late in the evening just before I got ready for bed. Mistake!

Totally enjoyed the day. A wonderful Sunday with lots of snow, cooking and DVDs…

No comments: