Saturday, March 07, 2020

Germs



Today is not as warm as yesterday, but it is the warm before the storm, there's a wind blowing but it's from the South and significant clouds are coming in. Tonight a week storms passing through but it looks grim and dim outside. Temperature in the mid-60s mice enough to head out without a jacket but I did wear my black stocking watch cap feeling like Bronson.1 I was feeling pretty lucky when I noted the time. I only had a few minutes to get out my busstop if I was going to make this cycle. That was okay I thought because I would take myself out to lunch at the Arctic Circle which is right next to my busstop. It Saturday the 217 is on is on one half hour headways rather than 15 minute headways during the week. But to my surprise my buses running late enough is able to catch the bus on out to my market.

I'm still surprised at how few people use the public transit system here but enough folks to make me a little cautious. I didn't think about the pandemic much when I first got on the bus (not that that would make a big difference) but as soon as the driver opened the door to deploy the lift to bring me on board I noticed that she coughed. Any other season or time I would not thought this a big deal – – and I really don't even now – – but all the sudden I wished I had worn my facemask. I have facemasks, I think I've talked about that before, nice blue medical looking things. I didn't want look like a jerk too much but then last night I watched “Outbreak”a great film starring little bit man guy Dustin Hoffman. This of course is all about heavy-duty big time pandemic viruses. I'll see if I can dig up a copy of the Andromeda Strain. Some be another one to scare this not out of me. Either way I didn't have my mask so I pulled my sweatshirt up over my nose for the rest of the trip to my destination. I doubt that really had much of an impact on saving me from the pandemic other than making me look like I was a bank robber.

My destination was the dollar store. I guess this falls under the definition of guilty pleasures. I'm just amazed at what I can get a dollar apiece. However I noticed again one way to stop pandemics is to close down the dollar stores. Poor people must be who really spread this stuff. I noticed a lot of sniffing sniveling going on in the dollar store. Lots of people mingling getting in each other's ways of being nice about it as they contaminate each other and most likely me. Still think it's kind of weird. On the way home there is another power chair, as big as mine, at the bus stop. I was a little dismayed but then I was determined I was not going to let this put me off. The lady and the other power chair asked me if I was good at turning around I told her no but I'm pretty darn good at backing on the bus which is a bit of a unique skill set. So I told her to get on the bus first and get situated and tie down that I would back on which I did. I did so with such pizzazz that I almost got an ovation that would've been funny. I just smiled and do good a bow as one can in a power chairin disease infested tube heading north on Redwood Road on a Saturday night…


1Then Came Bronson


[
]

No comments: