Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Captive Audience


I don't know why but I began stressing about today's lecture over the weekend, this past weekend. And I really did not do anything really constructive about the lecture until last night. I really wished I could of put together a better presentation. The ideas came to me too late. If there'd been a title of the lecture it would've been my 50 years as a person with a disability. Essentially I went through decade by decade by life with this disability at least that was my intention. However when I got to actually presenting I did bounce around a little more than I would've liked. Ideally however, I would've liked to developed a image show to go along with the verbal presentation. I have many of the images I would use already on file it would be very little problem putting them on a format that could be viewed if wherever I've made the presentation had access to technology.

It's funny in my anxiety I had whipped up this presentation into a major group of participants like one giant lecture halls at University in classes like introduction to psychology or introduction to sociology for you have like 300 kids in our lecture hall. I forgot where I was that which was an almost rural setting of the community college system here in Salt Lake. I didn't realize that many of the kids in this class were entry-level participants. I just assumed they were folks in our regular physical therapy program. There's about 18 kids in the class and the coursework was fairly light. I was greatly relieved to say the least.Luckily I did not have to fill the two hours that I was initially allocated. Two hours is a long time to dance. Amanda, my former occupational therapist and educator of this class took about 45 minutes of the two hours doing general housekeeping and making assignments before turning the balance of the time to me..

I must admit that I tended to ramble more than I would've liked. The kid seemed relatively interested and there's nothing like having the stage to talk about yourself for what seemed eternity. This is for the images would come in handy being able to take little pieces a time I switched from one image to the next to explain the image. The instructor asked that I bring in a number of my low-tech assistive technology devices are brought in a few but basically forgot them and tell the end of the presentation.


I have madeA couple of YouTube pieces regarding my assistive technology and I can bring those to have them readily available. There are number things I could do to make this a viable and enjoyable presentation/lecture for undergraduates to suffer through. The instructor, my friend Amanda, says she will use me again next year if I'd be willing which I would and I have a year now to put together such a presentation. Who knows maybe if I'm good enough I can get on the presenter circuit. That would be a hoot. Once again,, it's always great to feel wanted.

No comments: