Sunday, September 17, 2017

Wound Care Sunday

Honey and me being all artsy-fartsy

I awoke this morning with the painful realization that I had an open wound, a pressure sore on my butt. I have felt the wound coming on and I've tried to take some preventative measures but not obviously enough. I should've had Honey place addressing or at least a pre-wound Band-Aid on the irritation Friday night when she was here doing my bath routine. I did not however. Yesterday I was hoping that I was doing enough pressure releases and pushing more jail underneath my buttocks to forestall further breakdown but that again, obviously did not help. This morning I knew I had to do something so I texted Honey, my home help companion to see if she would be able to come over and put a dressing on the wound.

I was immensely relieved when after a couple of minutes Honey texted me that she would be free in about half an hour would drop by and look at my wound. She did this. It is good to see her on an unscheduled day – – that is always a treat. She works for another health agency on the weekends and so she has a different uniform that she wears during the week when she services me normally. Today she was decked out in black scrubs she looked cool, more so than usual, and particularly today since I needed her in emergency situation. I lowered my power chair out flat as I could then rolled to one side as she pulled down my shorts and examine the wound. Honey was immediately taken back and felt remorse that she did not see this developing on Friday when we showered. I thought about saying something Friday but did not since I last honey to do a number of things that were not directly related to showering and toileting. I actually should've called her yesterday morning when I got into my chair and felt some pain in my buttocks. I hope that my attention to press releases would get me by until Monday when she would be in to see me on the regular cycle. Honey was quick and professional. We even took images which I plan to send to my wound care people to see if they need to see me. I may however wait until Monday night when honey should be over again. We can adjudicate at that time how well distressing has worked and if significant healing has taken place if not then I will contact the wound clinic to see about some attention. However, if passed experience is any indicator I will have to wait at least a week if not two get in to be seen. It is also been my experience that once I make that appointment I tend to focus on healing myself in and of canceling the appointment because the wound is healed. I shall keep my fingers crossed and hope that is the case for this wound.


If nothing else the dressing Honey applied Certainly has alleviated the pain of sitting which I greatly appreciate and this allowed me to be somewhat productive today. Now, I must go take out a pie from the oven… I cooked an apple pie today with a wounded ass.

No comments: