Friday, September 22, 2017

My Buddy Sachin

.

This is my friend Sachin. I wrote about Sachin First back in February 2007. I cannot believe it's been 10 years since I wrote about this lad. Sachin is no longer lad Is a fully grown adult with fully grown adult responsibilities. I'm nothing but impressed with Sachin and his growth professionally. I actually sort of rolling off when I first met him., I respected him as they would anybody showing up for work from there C P D up at Logan.. The CPD's disability think would hired Sachin and they're pretty much figured they were just doing their part of hiring people with disabilities. Sachin is totally blind And at the time used a guide dog for mobility as well as his cane and whatever new technology was out there for people with visual disabilities. Sachin is from India and is quite dark complected And speaks excellent English. I did not know at the time but Sachin is a person with multiple degrees and is quite brilliant. I was blown away to find that he'd grown up in India and chose Utah State University to study and where he graduated with his degrees. For still more to this story that I hope to find some day

Two years ago roughly my good friend Marty was director of Utah Assistive Technology Program or UATP. I was mildly shocked when I found Sachin had been chosen to replace Marty as director, first interim event rightful director. I don't know why this shocked me so much I just had never seen Sachin in that position.I just had never given the boy that much credit which is stupid. Then about a year ago I hear that such an Has been put into vice chair of a federal board specifically the U S Access Board Now he was a hotshot federale enjoying face time with Pres. Obama no less. I really had to roll back and reevaluate my estimation of my blind friend from Logan.

So now my friend travels between Logan Utah in Washington DC once or twice a quarter or he did during the Obama administration. I don't know if he continues to serve on that board but I found yesterday at Council meeting that he's been nominated for another national position. This guys going places I just need to step back and watch Sachin grow. Like I said I rarely or never see them with his or a guide dog Anymore. He always has tons of gadgets and seems the one that he uses most is his cell phone which is really cool. He's got some sort of speaking device that he listens to closely. Unless you're sitting next to him you cannot really hear what the device is saying. What I do here is like one of the Chipmunks talking very fast. I cannot believe he can understand it's been said over her cell phone to cool. The only time we ever get to visit is usually a few moments before after a meeting. I doubt that will really ever changed just too bad. I'll be first to be director for some time. But I wouldn't be surprised if some national agency or program would sweep in, gather them up and fly Sachin away.



No comments: