Monday, September 11, 2017

Dry Run



In a week and a couple daysI'm going to give a lecture to us class of physical therapy students. I'm doing this class for a good friend of mine Amanda who is my physical therapist while I was at the skilled nursing facility couple years ago. Actually I'm doing this class primarily for me because it makes me feel important and I need that sometimes. I need to have a reason to tell other people that I still have important things to do, that I still have validity that I'm still a person that has something to give. So, I'm happy to do this for Amanda but I'm even more happy to do this for Mark.

The problem though, if it is a problem which I don't think that it is, this class is way south and west of where I'm at. I told Amanda I would do this regardless even if I had to take a cab from where the closest bus with dropping off. I am that needy to put myself through travel trauma to speak. Luckily though I did some initial checking and found that I should be able to get to the college and back again via public transit. So to that end, I thought I'd better do a dry run to make sure there would be no issues on the day of the presentation. Believe me I have learned my lesson well over a lifetime of being late to presentations because I did not take the time to check for problems.

Today I did the dry run. I thought about leaving early right after getting up that I thought now I've got the time. I decided I would head out after I checked the mail. The mail was late today getting done about 10:30 AM. Beside the easiest route would be to catch Redwood Road down to the train station and take the red line South and West to West Jordan. Supposedly there I could catch the F9 50.
The 950 is a fast bus I'm not terribly sure what that means exactly what the buzz should take me directly to the community college. Everything went smooth, more or less, I got on the train and got off at the Jordan Valley station. Getting off at the Jordan Valley station was a bit like getting off at the twilight zone. Except for one other person I was the only person at that station. I half expected to see a tumbleweed rolling past. There were no buses. There really was nothing there except for what looked to be a new apartment house or complex. It actually looked like a nice joint except for is up the middle of nowhere. There is excavation in fields close by where more properties are being constructed. I went out to explore the one property that was completed and as I was rolling back I was passed by a bus which was my bus. I wasn't too bummed out. I had the time and this could've been a glitch that won't be down because I can build in for this. The bus that I passed her past me was the F 590. I found that have to wait an hour before the next. Luckily, I noticed two buses parked at the station when I got back. I did some checking and luckily I found one of the buses like the 590 also went to the community college and would be leaving in seven minutes I was so glad. I was chagrined to find when we took off and went to the Community College was like three blocks away. I could've easily negotiated the distance of my chair. But I got there and cruised around the little college. It's really quite cute. I found the engineering building where PT classes are taught where I need to be. It's kind of strange though there is nobody in the building really except for a couple staff. It was Monday there was that there was no classes it seemed.


I caught the bus back to the station and came home after stopping off at the market to pick up a few things. It had been a good recon mission. Can be an easy transit on the day of the lecture. Thank goodness for public transit.

No comments: