Saturday, September 30, 2017

Yes I Am Senior


I live in the senior housing project. This is NOT a long-term care facility. People who live here must be entirely independent or be able to provide for their own assistants should they need assistance. I've never suggested anything else. This place was available when I needed the space and I'm thankful that it was there and that I live here. Sometimes I think it would be nice if there were other younger people here living but I'm also a bit of a realist and that I'm senior no two ways about it and that is just the next step to the long-term care solution then so be it. Is a bit intimidating however, is the Taylorsville senior center which is directly across the parking lot of the front door to my apartment complex. I have been over there numerous times and was kind of impressed with the place of first. But, like the Murray senior center (another place I really try to support) I can't see anything there for me really as far as access goes. The only thing I'm really interested in over there would be their weight room but that's not accessible the least of the have no machines that I can use that would help me. But however I must say in their defense they do have the kitchen and they do serve meals every day except the weekend. Love the meals I would just as soon good and pass on but there are some that look fairly decent. These meals are a deal for three bucks.

I seem to remember not long after I moved into this joint from going over there, to the senior center, to see what the process of involvement was all about. I found you have to fill out an application and that was about it. In return I would get a laminated card with a barcode that I would have to produce each time I came to the facility and want to use their programs. Again, does not such a bad trade-off for some of the offerings. Bingo, wheelchair dance, lunch, supposedly rides to Walmart and even went over when they have their journey over to that little gambling Mecca – – which I doubt that I would ever go primarily because I don't think their vehicles accessible but still who knows the little personal education maybe I could bring some access to the property. They have pottery classes, I'm sure they have some sort of writing class and some sort of art class (which I really do need to explore since I'm being challenged so hard at the community college) access to computers terminals with Internet connection – – perhaps a nice flat screens but that is something I don't need. I think it has some soda holiday celebrations and so forth and so on. I must admit there is just something a little bit reenforcing about the possibility of belonging.. A number of folks here trudge over to the center every morning during the week. A number of them have encouraged me to join them but I have not. I did however will notice that some interest that they will be having a Spanish speaking class starting in mid October. I might want to look into this and see how viable that might be sense now I can't get into community college till after the first of the year.


I filled out the paperwork and the person at the front desk was all impressed at how well I did writing with two hands. Oddly enough, the application was eerily familiar.. I know I feel that out before and I don't think I ever got the card. I was mildly surprised when When I asked her initially, yesterday morning, if I had a card or did records show I had registered. The records did not. She handed me a folder which had my free meal ticket in it and if you have items about the center i.e. code of conduct etc. I was waiting for her to give me my new card so I can start using the services legitimately. That did not happen it seems the director must approve all applications and she does not work on Fridays. So hopefully Monday I will pick up my new laminated card and start using the services. I don't really want to but I figure it's time. If I don't like it was up to me to make it better or at least something I can tolerate.

No comments: