Sunday, September 03, 2017

You Say Tomato I Say Tomato…


The image at the top is the fruit that disappeared. The image at the bottom is just the lower fruit that survived. Either way it's been fun to raise them.
The last couple of years I've really started getting into this gardening thing. But I still lived on Utahna drive and Murray I had a little raised garden on the concrete slab in the back of the garage. My attempts were noble but pathetic to grow anything. I did get a few things in the two years that I gardened in the back. I'm still chagrined at how excited I got with the coming on of fruits regardless of how small and inconsequential.

As we wander in the September the attempts at gardening I have started here at the apartments seem to be going like gangbusters. I cannot believe how many tomatoes that I have coming on and how large they seem to be and are becoming. It's not like I've done a whole lot regarding either. Essentially I still preparation on the groundwork that was allotted me in the gardening area then across the street to a little nursery thingy and purchased but I thought looked to be righteous tomato plants, the green pepper in a squash. I stuck them in the ground patted them down and what about my business. I think only what did I pick some weeds that have found their way to my little garden space that was about it. Oh I have been going out every couple days to check things out and marvel at how much growth has taken place since last I visited. I've given the plants some sage advice and encouragement but the plants didn't seem to need any encouragement at all In fact I don't think the plants need me at all. The plants are watered by a timed watering device i.e. sprinkler system becomes unusually late at night are early in the morning.

Still I go out especially now now that the plants are maturing. There are two boxes that were allotted to residents here at the apartment complex. In my area I plan to big and beefy– – And they are. In the other box someone planted cherry tomatoes and those pear-shaped little tomatoes can't remember the name of them,, those tomatoes are Italian or something all Roma tomatoes. They are being prolific as well. My largest regret with the project this year is that I did not spend the money for tomato cages. It just seemed too expensive. I suppose if I wanted to look around and travel around on the bus I could've found them fairly inexpensive or even on the Internet but I did not do that and the tomato cages that were readily available access wise I thought what too expensive. I did however find some wood in the neighborhood which is able to cut down into some fairly decent stakes which is sort of worked well for giving my tomato plants superstructure and not falling all over the walkway.


Yesterday I felt violated when I went out to the tomato patch and found the one tomato I've been watching, the first tomato which is become or had become way large but in some way had some major defects. It looked as if the skin was splitting I guess from water or something. We did have some significant rain not too long ago which could've done the damage. I was still excited to see this fruit, come of age but when I went out yesterday the tomato is gone! For a split second I was a little irritated but then I remembered how was warned when I started the project that often the results of your labor might disappear. Then I remembered I had helped myself to more than one of the cherry tomatoes next door. Besides, I had lots of tomatoes coming on all I need is one or two. I even thought about taking maybe two of the largest tomatoes on my plants now and let them ripen in the apartment. But then I thought not, let them ripen in the box in their own time. Maybe sharing is the lesson.

No comments: