Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Capitol Action



Today was the second part of a one-two sucker punch we had hoped to land on which it Speaker of the House of Representatives Hughes, A Republican rascal-bug which seems to be working hell-bent at cutting off the legs of people with disabilities who are also low income in the state of Utah. DRAC, that direct action group that tries to bring change for people with disabilities has been trying for a couple months to get a meeting with this guy but Speaker Hughes is a very slick Willie and manages the slide out about contact. It was hoped that Speaker Hughes would've been in the hearing yesterday which DRAC disrupted and of course he was not. So today's object was to try to corner the speaker in his lair/office. So the strike group met today in the state Capitol rotunda And plan the assault on the speaker in his office.

Actually, I was up for today's meeting. I figured I would take a low-key approach and hang out in the back where ever we were going/doing. I would be supportive and disruptive if needed but I would be just background noise. Today was a perfect day for traveling, much warmer then November should be here along the Wasatch front. I'm positive the state's population will pay the price for this beautiful weather somewhere in the future due to lack of water. I may fairly good time getting up to the state capital. I even stopped along the way for a quick burger and later on fries at the legislative cafeteria. I have dealt with my group at the appointed time at the capital rotunda on the second floor of our state capital building. We were a scruffy looking group to say the least. There are about six or eight of us so it was hard for me to get lost in the background. Jerry is an interesting fellow and is our leader currently. DRAC has never had a real leader – – in my opinion. Jerry is an executive director has been director of a number of private nonprofits in this area. He actually knows how to lead was not afraid to be a leader and start screaming and yelling on his own so the rest of us can join in.Jerry is select music director. Instead of dropping the baton by waving his arms Jerry started yelling and the rest of us join in.

Barbara has been the leader in residence of this small group over the years. At least in her 80s I'm just amazed at her stamina and ability to keep showing up at these functions as well as traveling the coast for national actions. Jerry and his wisdom defers the Barbara on many decisions and decision questions. Today I could hear them in the background discussing who should lead this particular action. I thought I kept hearing my name, and was shocked when everyone agreed that I was to be the one to ask for a meeting with Speaker Hughes. I, of course, balked indicating I felt uncomfortable. Barbara I know was the one who was pushing me forward in the discussion earlier and now in the real-time. She was making me grow. She was making me feel uncomfortable and grow past my safe zone of blended into the back. She's been trying to do this for a number of months now if not years. Well today was the day. I decided I would do it regardless of how uncomfortable I felt. We're trying only to get a meeting with the speaker so that we can nail him on trying to cut back on the Medicaid expansion we are trying to bring about for the state of Utah. He of course will not be that we feel but we have to go through the process for DRAC to go the next step of direct confrontation. Today's request for a meeting was the second step in this process. Earlier in the summer we attended meetings, we sent requests for meetings which were ignored and now we're at his doorstep.

Well I fumbled through the request for a meeting with the speaker but I got through it. Jerry at a given point started yelling “We Want A Meeting” we began our chant. We were being civilly disobedient. We chatted for 3 to 4 to 5 minutes. The state police told their heads through the door and tried to look menacing. I could tell They did not want to get there hands dirty unless they have to. A slick Willie finally stepped out from the maze of offices behind the reception desk. He was obviously the buffer, the staffer who was willing to be sacrificed to save the boss. Negotiations one that point and eventually we have a meeting with the speaker next week. They were members of our group would then willing to stay in the office for as long as it took all night and longer if needed. We did not have to do that. We got our meeting and we are scheduled to meet again next week and meet with the speaker and see what happens. I am totally surprised at how much I grew in today's action. Trite and corny as it sounds I have become empowered. My little performance speaking little bit of words I did make a difference in me and made me feel strong, perhaps not invincible but stronger than when I started out.

Barbara and I rolled down the hill from the state capitol building to the train station on the valley floor. We've done this twice now and then rode the train south talking as we did. Barbara really wants me to go to Washington DC over Mother's Day next year. I almost want to slap October but just couldn't see how I could sleeping and with attendant care issues but Barbara has convinced me I can do it. She has faith in me. I'm seriously going to think about the trip, yes and expand my range of influence that that I need to but maybe I do.



No comments: