Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Pumpkin Pie and I

Image may contain: indoor and food
I did it I finally made my first pumpkin pie! The process was deceptively simple. Perhaps I chose to make it simple but I followed the directions off the sweetened condensed milk can. Yesterday when I was searching for nutmeg to put into some hashbrowns I came across a small can of pumpkin pie seasoning. All I had to do was plop in a couple of eggs the seasoning condensed milk and then mix it all together of course the can of pumpkin(15 ounce can) and that's it. I have watched Dianne may comprise over the years and always be intimidated by how sloppy the end process is of trying to transfer the uncooked pies from the table to the oven.I've been perplexed by this problem for a week now. The apple pie made last month was not a problem transferring it from table to oven. Something liquid is a whole new challenge. Then the other morning when I was looking inside the dishwasher for a butter knife I noted a big yellow mixing bowl was in there. Then the flash the answer came to me that I would have the high shell in the oven on the baking pan then pour the liquid pie filling into the pie shell. Problem solved.

I picked up the ingredients for the pie couple days ago. I got one of those premade pie shells that Frozen two a package a package. I put the pie shells into the refrigerator. The 15 ounce can of pumpkin I put on the table.. The week is been fairly busy and have not had time to put the pie together nor the courage. Honestly I was a bit intimidated by the whole process and also the fear of failure. But the more I thought about the operation this week that more thought about really making this is just a straightforward procedure mix the ingredients , filling the pie shell and cooking, then letting the pie cool and then removing the pipe from the oven.

But I didn't consider was letting the frozen pie shell file which I do not believe is a big deal but I can see now the wisdom of working with a frozen shell. In fact I had the pie shell in the oven as I preheated the box for the pie. I hadn't thought about the problem of cooking the pie crust before the ingredients were put in. The crust is pretty brown when I poured in the pie mixture. I was really afraid the whole kit and caboodle with burn and burn badly.

I set off the smoke alarm twice just heating the oven to 425. I feel that the pie shell I was surprised at how much I had made. I gently pushed the pipe to be back into the outage shut the door. The alarm went off again and I exited the apartment after opening the patio door. I went down to the common area and visited with a couple of the other tenants. I was relieved that my return the smoke cleared and there was the faint odor of pumpkin pie! I was even more relieved but I think in a high and saw the exposed crust had browned but not burned. I went into the mandatory 30 minutes then lanced the top of the pie scum my skewer came back covered with pie slurry. I tried again and 10 minutes in the skewer came back clean my pie was finished.

I'm going to have to ration out the pie to myself– – I noted this morning when I weighed myself after the shower I had gained a kilogram crap! I chided myself for not getting Cool Whip while the market this afternoon. I'm not going overtime Mark Anthony's in-laws for Thanksgiving dinners as I had anticipated. They are not eating 5 o'clock! I told Mark I have to decline. I felt sorry for him but I don't have to wait till dinnertime he Thanksgiving dinner or have to travel After Dark. I am becoming a crotchety old man big time.


No comments: