Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Proper





I have two great, big sisters. I love having my big sisters alive and healthy now but I really loved having them around when I was a kid. I think sisters were not around as long as I would've liked. My big sisters were a result of a blended family when my dad married married my mom. Instantly I got two big sisters of the big brother what a deal the only drawback to the big kids were only with as part of the time. But when they were around good things happened – – always good things for me.

You realize I'm pulling back memories and 66 years or so. I remember starting nights when I was about four or five and I guess my mom and dad were still relatively newly married so they went out on Saturday nights and I was babysat by the older girls Irene and Faye and sometimes the older cousins and sometimes my sister's boyfriends. But I remember most fondly was making popcorn. We had a great old aluminum dishpan and the girls would take out our trusty old stove top or, browned and seasoned through years of use. It's all black plastic handle gnarled from too many close calls With electric burners. They would get the popcorn popper down for in the oil and the popcorn then began shaking the pot over the red-hot burners of the stove. Soon the house was filled with many mini-explosions and the delightful aroma of popcorn. Two or three batches were dumped into the aluminum pan then salted. The result was delightful. I reach back into my memory and vaguely remember Laying on my stomach in front of the old television set and watching Highway Patrol and eating bow after bowl of popcorn.

I've been thinking a lot lately about old popcorn popper. I can't find poppers like that anymore. Did an Internet search and found all kinds of air poppers and there are still poppers but most are these poppers with us crank on them to crank around the popcorn I imagine. I think a good shaking do the trick. They couldn't find just a humble aluminum vessel to pop corn. I actually saw an interesting idea from that weird cooking guy. The illustrated how you take one of those stainless steel bowl to use as a proper. We showed you how to cover the vessel with aluminum foil. Perforate the foil shake the contents over heat And soon you'll be enjoying fresh popcorn. I thought about doing that because I have a great pop But should work but still take a lot of prepping on my part. I still might but shamefully I must confess I ordered a stovetop popcorn popper. Yes I know it's got the dorky little Crank on top. I just want a popper to make some great popcorn with for the rest of my life. I could put the popper on fast order And get my copper by Friday but I said no use the slow method next Thursday would be fine.


I'm really looking forward to this popper. I think I'm going to love using the popper and maybe best of all refreshing the memories of my big sisters on Saturday night.

No comments: