Friday, November 24, 2017

Thank you Version



Yesterday, Thanksgiving, was very quiet here at the complex noticeably so. In the morning and went down to the common area just to see what was going on. I visited with the number of folks who live here being picked up by their family members to go “home” to a family Thanksgiving. One person had a fairly good sized overnight bag and she was going to be family cabin which I guess is almost a cathedral. This lady's family gathers there every Thanksgiving for at least four days they play games, frolic out the snow when there is snow, seeing and generally have a great family time. She seems to really think that's what happens and I believe her. She could be the centerpiece for Norman Rockwell painting called “Thanksgiving with grandma 2017”.This grandma would be rolling out dough  reading the recipe off of a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

The Salvation Army was providing lunches for residents here at the apartment complex at 1:30 PM. The lunches were to be delivered to the Common Room where we would then have “traditional” Thanksgiving dinner. I rolled up to common room a couple times pretending I was checking to see what was going on in the laundry. Nothing was going on in either the common room are the laundry. I finally watched a movie part documentary I had started the night before and finally at 1 o'clock I wandered down again and was surprised to see the meals have been delivered and were being distributed to the early birds. There is a main table covered with Styrofoam boxes looking like a holiday morgue, I imagine major turkeys lying on their backs with toe tags around their claws. On a separate table was another morgue this time set with 20 to 30 small rectangular's which had to be dessert: pumpkin pie.

I was handed my dinner my dinner and I felt like the star of the 6 o'clock local news, you know the human interest spot always shown on Thanksgiving of homeless shelters, prison cafeterias and senior housing projects around town. In fact this morning with the residents asked me if I'd seen our building on the news. I doubted her version of reality because I'd seen no news video tracks around the building, but I was looking at those SUVs with the satellite dish up-link are hard to not notice. I really do appreciate the Thanksgiving lunch provided. Mashed potatoes which I think the real, the materials recovered with gravy, a couple pieces of Turkey (again real meat not pressed or processed the site and just being cooked, the turkey at the Thanksgiving dinner we had two days before was much better… Just saying) there is a piece of bread that look like it could've been a role and green beans. I know they tried hard but at best the meal I have is more than most people coming out 1:38 PM as advertised would be look at storm cold victuals. The smart ones took their meal and vanished I assume back to their apartments to nuke their grub into a holiday spirit. Unlike the previous dinner I actually have people at my table and could visit with me or I them. It did not take long to finish this dinner and I washed it down with small carton of milk which came with a meal.


What I missed most good relish tray with lots of small pickles and olives. Oh and whipped cream.

No comments: