Thursday, November 09, 2017

Matador and the Mermaid



I own one piece of art. I called this piece of art Matador and the Mermaid. I have had this piece probably 40 years. I love this piece of art for no particular reason. It's not world-class art for sureI don't even know who painted the piece.

I just moved in an apartment at the front of protest Avenue and Boise Avenue. The apartment complex is now called Protest One. And is basically University housing. The year before I lived in student housing on-campus and Boise State University. The dorm was called Chafee Hall. It was a good year, I was coming back to school after spending about 18 months working in low income medical facilities while my grade point average somehow reinvented itself. The experience was good but I certainly did not want to repeat a year in the dorms. A couple of my friends I made that your decided I would spend the summer searching for Apartment and secure an apartment and the others would join me at the end of summer. So essentially I Had the whole apartment to myself it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Over the summer I met Yolanda And Alex who lived in the apartments directly across from mine. Became friends and often had dinner together.. Yolanda was beautiful, young and Hispanic and Alex was young and white. As far as Anderson story Yolanda was aristocratic Hispanic from Mexico for Alex had met her in the Peace Corps. They were perfect and racial couple making a go of life in Boise Idaho in 1974.

I've never really met people who have money, real money until I met these two. At least that's what I thought and how they live the lifestyle . They actually had wall art. Kind of stuff that swirled your wine in your wine glass and adjudicate the piece of art. They had a piece of art that is quite fond of. I love to look at this artwork and just imagine what I thought the characters in the abstract were up to.As things happen Alex got some sort of promotion or something and soon they were packing their apartment to move to Mexico. I was taken aback when a couple days before they were to leave Yolanda got over the piece of art that I seem to be so taken. And asked if I would take it. In brief she informed me that the piece of art has been created by an old boyfriend when she was in college, before she met Alex. It seems the arts at the sore spot in their relationships. Just one of those little things that sets things edge. I said sure – – I was actually overwhelmed to know what else to say – –Yolanda beamed bent gave me a giant hug and kiss on the cheek. She said she wanted someone to have the piece and she said she knew I liked the artwork and felt I would appreciate and take care of a piece of her heart.

For some reason, when I moved from the house the artwork ended up stashed in the corner of my bedroom. I have my new cleaning professional put it on the wall and I was amazed at the difference I felt in that room. Now, I'm beginning to wonder through art galleries and shows looking for a piece or pieces of art to put on my wall – – I have a lot of space to fill. I can't afford the big pieces however I'm going to see if I can get some big pieces just the same from struggling beginning artists. Don't know how realistic this is, heck I even am considering making some big donkey art. In large a few pieces of Burros of the Apocalypse. People still love them and so do I.




No comments: