Saturday, November 18, 2017

Of pumpkin time dreams and other challenges of living single


I would not say that I desperately wanted a piece of pumpkin pie yesterday but I certainly would've enjoyed a bite of pie he end of yesterday's meal.I don't know what I was thinking after all the desert portion of yesterday's mail was potluck, everyone was supposed to bring something they like. There is One pumpkin pie, premade and one of those 8 inch aluminum tins, a cake, various and sundry cookies and of course offerings of Jell-O. But just one time the pie. There were a lot of others who had designs on that . I was correct in no time the little bitty pie was gone. I mean department management should realize that if the spring for the turkeys management should also throw in the pies.

I'm here now into this property that seem so much different than when I arrived. I remember the place getting ready for Thanksgiving last year but I just sort of held back. I was the new guy. Nobody knew who I was, they were nice to me but I don't think they knew quite what to do with me. I'm still kind of the new guy but I can tell I've been accepted. Last year I did not go to the pre-Thanksgiving dinner. I may have some sort of excuse. This year I went but I sit at any tables of people I knew. I must admit this behavior is kind of bizarre. I ended up sitting by myself that really the only table left. Imagine my chagrin when the table soon filled with Spanish-speaking residents. I pieced together bits and pieces of conversation. One person was from El Salvador, one from Columbia and another for Mexico of course. Luckily, Sarah the girl runs the beauty salon at the building here joined our table. We talked a little bit.


I've really done a lot of cooking this year. Turkey breasts, a couple roasts and the usual stirfry and garbroc. So this afternoon went across the street at the market I figured, I can bake a pie. I made an apple pie not long ago or at least put one together. It was just a matter of opening up a can of apple pie mix and putting the mix into a premade pie crust and covering with the remaining crust. That was it. Dianne always made the pumpkin pies for our Thanksgiving celebrations. She made the crusts as well as the pie filling. I watched her a couple times of course but I didn't really pay attention now I wish I had. I found a couple of recipes online and even on cans. It looks straightforward. In my attempts to get spices the past couple of months I believe I have everything I need to mix the pie filling. I got a couple small cans of pumpkin could should be more I need one pie. The only issue I have is I remember the slurry of pie mix in the pie tins that Dianne slid into the oven. I'm worried about slopping the slosh. But I've got an idea. What if I mix the slosh up in the great yellow bowl that came with me from the house? I will have the oven heated and I will pull the rack out far enough to place the pies on the rack then pour the slurry into the pie tins and personal hold shooting match into the oven. This is got to work. The problem I have is getting the pie in getting the pie out should not be a problem. I mean I can wait till pie cools until stone cold and I want and then pull the desert with my hands but that won't be a problem. I'm excited I can do this I just wish, now I had purchased some cool whip.

No comments: