Sunday, November 26, 2017

Oh Baby It's Dark Outside


Last night I realized with the shock that it is almost winter! The darkness starts coming around 4 o'clock. This time next month the hours of daylight will begin lengthening in fact there will be three or four days into the process this time next month. Historically have been almost neurotic about the meantime when we began to back towards summer solstice. Granted winter solstice is still basically a month away that I didn't realize and that's the problem.

I think what brought this to my attention last night was I started a load of wash and I thought it was very late and was concerned that the time to finish. I had come to the common area after I started my low and then came out to visit those assembled in the common area– thinking in the back of my mind was everybody to a select that was then I noticed it was just a little after 6 PM but it was totally dark outside giving the illusion that it was way late.

When I returned about a half an hour later to check my watch everyone was gone. I doubt to bed but still there and and visiting and return to their various apartments. I understand there is a ongoing card game a number of the women participate in every Saturday night I think it's bridge and it moves from apartment to apartment depending on the week. This is a closed event of a certain individuals to participate. Oh, of course it's not written or anything is just a standing function for just a group of the apartment people here.

I watched a couple movies that I had ordered in the mail. Movies that I had watched two or three times if not more but movies I like. I have been playing in the background as I worked on dinner and tidied up a bit and waited for the wash cycles end. I was surprised to find someone else in the laundry when I went down to switch out the clothes to the dryer. Hispanic guy named Orlando. He and his family moved into the facility couple weeks ago. He speaks little English but is a very nice guy. I noticed that he watches about once a week and spends all day watching. I don't know why they have such a huge wash but they do. Orlando is quiet, Orlando and his life keep to themselves. I was impressed however that they did attend our free Thanksgiving day dinner last week. Granted they sat the Spanish-speaking table which makes sense and for some reasons the table 's I sat as well. We passed a few have muted attempts to communicate then gave up and just ate in silence. Orlando smiled at me and motioned to me asking if I needed any assistance. I smiled and shook my head. I couldn't tell if his look was disappointment or relief I suppose it didn't matter after all it was dark outside and to me that's what mattered most at the moment why was it so dark so early in the night.




No comments: