Tuesday, August 07, 2018

A Little Bit More Whine Please




I know this is becoming a broken record but today turned out to be another wheelchair day. Tuesday is one of the in-between days. I have home health coming in Monday Wednesdays and Fridays for showers etc. and the best perk of this hour of home health care is that Dana, my worker, assists me getting dressed, most of the times this is a luxury that I really enjoy. However, ever since I've had issues with my main power chair Tuesdays and Thursdays and the weekends have been really challenging since I use my power chair so much and myself dressing procedure.

This morning took an inordinate amount of time dressing. With the back of chair the foot pedals are extremely narrow and extremely smooth backing of most difficult to keep my feet on the front place not to mention having enough grip to allow me to bridge enough to take the weight of my butt and pulled my shorts on as well as dragging a leg up to cross the other so I can put my shoes. I was pleased though I got the job done with time to spare before I had to head out to my Tuesday morning meeting.

As I struggle to dress myself, to keep myself independent, the back of my mind I keep seeing a time when I'm not going to be able to perform these tasks. Possibly, I might be able to do a little bit more self-pay or more home health services but the inevitable is out there coming sure is dark follows sunset. Today is Tuesday so I was at the Assist meeting and I felt my backpack vibrating and took me a minute to realize since my cell phone which again somehow turned is ringer off again. The calls from my wheelchair shop. My chair was ready, so those wires in my motor melted. I don't know what they did but they got the chair running again but warned me that the fix is lightweight they really need to replace the wiring completely, the whole harness which once again will take authorization from Medicare.

The chair showed up around 2 o'clock. I had the driver for the chair in the bedroom and once he left I sidled my backup chair next to the repairs chair and into transferred. Something told me I should've had somebody there to make sure everything went okay but no I did not. The transfer went okay but the right arm of my chair which I have to lower so I could scoot across somehow got stuck beneath my wheel. The more I try to free the arm the worse it got until I finally had to call the office which led to more frustration. They tried hard but they could not do anything we have the kind of fire department again they came out saved the day. I hope the authorization comes quickly. The technician's told me that the wires are still loose and very well could overheat again and stop forward motion. This was terrified me at one point time not anymore it just means more annoyance and frustration and hope for better times.


No comments: