Saturday, August 25, 2018

Farmers Market 2018




I have to admit I was kind of excited to get going today. I did my research yesterday and found out for sure the farmers market very was in full swing: Friday and Saturdays from 9 to 3. It's called the farmers market and took me a couple of years to realize their definition of “farmers” is much more global than mine. However, you chronic readers of this document will about farmers market, green river watermelons and the Dragon Lady.

I'm going into my third year of living on my own. This is the second farmers market season for me. This summer I have really made a science of eating water melon. I've taken to “skinning” the fruit. Actually cutting off the rind and storing the fruit either plastic containers or 1 gallon bags. I kee them in the long strips and eat the watermelon as finger food. I like that. However I must admit getting the fruit home in my power wheelchair is somewhat challenging. I have used plastic bags in the past, I hang the plastic bags off the arm of my chair and usually that's okay but I have found with the watermelon I must use at least two bags, two plastic bags and even then the watermelon takes a beating by the time I get home. I have developed a system where I use the Brown plastic basket I got a couple months ago that was an oversight bungee cord to connect the ends of the bungee cord into each side of the basket. Today planned to put the concept to the test. I'm going to procure the green River melon and take it home in my little plastic lap basket.

What amazes me most about the Murray farmers market is how consistent the event is right down to the placement of the booths. Each year it's the same booths in the same places and many times with the very same people however I must admit time is really beginning to take its toll on all of us. I wish I had taken advantage of the Dragon Lady this year. She was wearing a baseball cap must've been for sizes too big for her she looked like a refugee. She didn't seem as energetic as she has in the past. In the past she always had a knife in her hand and was coming up watermelons for people to sample. She talked quick and was sharp. She continues to be sharp but she seems just a bit slower. I was also surprised to see the growth and many of the kids who travel with the family business. But the work for the aging process of the human beings at the farmers market, I would say that just moved the whole kit and caboodle into some closet somewhere and drug it out in tact .

My goal was to get the most righteous watermelon I could find the take-home in my little plastic basket. I got pulled in to the salt and pepper corn booth. There salt-and-pepper corn is so good they give you samples to eat raw and you just can't get enough. I bought three ears. Then I saw the green peppers they were beautiful huge and so artistic. I couldn't pass up the cucumbers I got three cucumbers, a dollars worth. I bought these to slice and soak in vinegar to have with tomatoes and cottage cheese later this week. I could've gotten so much more I really did use restraint. I didn't use the last basket as I intended. I had too much other produce. I carry now a cloth bag, almost like a book bag (the kind that's the big reach these days that information fairs and conferences). I keep one now in the bottom of the brown plastic box. I ended up sticking the melon in the cloth bag that hung over my at best and not get somebody at the apartments to remove the bag.

I did it I did the farmers market! I'll probably try to do it again before the end which is sometime in October. I probably paid too much for the watermelon but the melon is a green River melon and I guess that's worth two dollars more. I don't think you get deals or good deals at the farmers markets, like everything else in life the farmers market is just theater and we are all just but actors in the Shakespearean play called Farmers Market.

No comments: