Monday, August 20, 2018

Safe and Sound



I was having coffee with my friend Lori today. She's pretending that she's looking for more affordable and friendly housing for people with disabilities who are aging. Lori was telling me that she had recently looked at some property that looked wonderful will but was priced way too high or her to consider. We were having coffee at the coffee shop directly across the street from my apartment complex. She mentioned how beautiful the property looks and immediately I wanted to take issue with her and start talking about the faults of the property and there are some. However, I must confess a lucky I am to indeed, live in such a beautiful property.

I'm starting my third year at this place and every day I thank the greater forces for having this property, my apartment, ready and open at the exact time I needed a place to go and a place to be. As I was dashing across the street from the apartment complex. One of my neighbors was coming in from outside and was holding the power doors so I can leave. The doors are electric and must be coded to get in. My neighbor also noticed that I just let the door from my apartment close behind me as I left. He asked if I was coming back and I said no I'm on my way out he says aren't you going to lock your doors? I laughed and said “no That's okay. I always leave my door unlocked. I trust this place” And I do. I suppose if I had something of value perhaps be more reticent vintages then to just dash out the door. Very few people are in this building that shouldn't be. I've heard speak out a couple of relatives of residence would've been a little shady but the people here are good people. Our building is gated we have iron like, spite fences all the way around the property. There are cameras everywhere – – granted going time the images would really be looked at As if some shenanigans did happen but by then the cows had already gotten out.

I shared with Lori further how great it was to have a bus stop immediately outside my back door and a couple more bus stops a block either way From my property. It seems easy to me to go from bus to train to get to wherever I want to go in the city. I totally lucked out to be where I'm at work everything from grocery shopping, entertainment/restaurants, transit and even education.

What I did not share was the seemingly nonstop sound of sirens that seems to be everywhere sometimes in this neighborhood. The main thoroughfare, Redwood Road, is like the landing strip for a fire station about two blocks south of our apartment complex and I hear the shrieks of the Sirens all day long Even in the sirens sound but I tune the sirens out and I sleep just fine in my gated sanctuary. Without getting too philosophical, I do feel I ended up here for a reason if nothing else to begin my next station of life whatever the hell that might be. I do not see myself relocating for any reason anytime soon who knows what lies right behind the next corner?

No comments: