Thursday, August 30, 2018

Pencil Bouquets



One of my favorite scenes from You Got Mail is when Tom Hanks is writing this email and talking about what he likes about the fall/autumn are “pencil bouquets”. Somehow that struck me is the perfect descriptor of the season and going back to school. I almost got drowned today the tidal wave of nostalgia while on campus of Salt Lake Community College. I was not there (oddly enough) to try to get into an art class. I think that kind of given up on that idea for a while. Who knows? However, I was on campus because they have a bank teller machine for my credit union which is really convenient. The Fed and the state both got the checks last night… I'm in the money! For a couple of days anyway I'm in the money. I know it's delusion but the fun illusion. Another fun illusion is beyond campus with all the young spirits. I guess classes started the first of this week. All the walls are plastered with bulletins, announcements and brochures of happening events. It actually look like the student union provided events for the whole week, jugglers, comedians, dances, bands, spiritualists, palm readers and and much more.

With my money securely tucked into my wallet in my wallet in my backpack I wandered into the bookstore. I love university/college bookstores. I enter into covenant. I really have my eye on this oversized Apple tablet. I swore I would never have an Apple product that is changed. Now that I'm in this art mode I think this large tablet would be wonderful. The entry-level version is like $800. I think it has 64 GB the next version has 128 GB that goes for a thousand dollars. I think I get by on 64 GB. If they had a layaway program I would snatch it in a minute but alas they do not. I just keep hoping I will experience a windfall and be able to get this device. It's not like them holding my breath just the dream. What I like best about the bookstore is that it's nothing but potential. I wander over to the art section and once again look at all the pens, colored pencils, sketching pencils sketching packs, art pads clipboards and on and on. Sometimes I just sit back and watch all the little art majors come and pick stuff up and go over to the administration section to deduct supplies off their scholarships. I'm always impressed when I see this. I just wonder around and look at this and touch that and pretend I'm an art person too and that I really belong there – – but I'm a fraud but I don't let anybody know.

I really wanted to break one of the 20s I got the teller machine but it's just not bring myself to purchase anything. Instead I figured I would break the 20 over at the Fresh Market where I would stop on the way home. Instead, I just hung around the student center a little longer and vamped the energy.

No comments: