Saturday, August 11, 2018

Ho Hum Saturday




I really didn't do anything meaningful today, not really. I didn't go anywhere and that always worries me come around the blog time. If I stay in, like today, pretty much means but I'm part-time writing because I don't have any subject matter. I did my chores: doing my little close and then running over across the driveway to the food bank and getting my humble box of food.

I found that it might get up early relatively speaking. If I get down to the washroom by 8 o'clock rarely is the competition for the big washing machine which I always use. The machine is a front loader is just easier for me. 45 minutes to watch roughly and three quarters, I like to be there when the machine finishes watching which of course is the spin. Throw the clothes into the front loader dryer head back to the apartment. This is ideal timing because I usually go back and check on the dryer at 45 minutes. By this time I have to get snagged by residents who are out in the common area now. This used to irk me a little because I wanted just dump the clothes in the apartment and head over to the food bank. But I've learned something at the last couple weeks but I wash my clothes later and did not get to the food bank till about 11 AM. (The food bank is open only from 10 to 12 on Saturdays) What I found is that if I go to the food bank around 11 there is hardly anybody in line. When I go earlier there can be five or ten people in line. I have found I would just assume not have to wait in line any longer than I have to. Sometimes it gets a little spooky, waiting in line. I have to admit though I've got some pretty pretty good fodder from incidents I have experienced at the food bank.

The people at the food bank like me and I like them. I've talked before about me being a bit of a food snob. I have the staff trained now the only offer me the food that I want and they have. Often, I have to refuse the food they offer. I don't need any more macaroni, it is not worth my time to take milk that is past its due date because I just have to dump it. The bread is usually smashed beyond use and I already have six bottles of peanut butter. Sometimes I take something offered even though I do not want to just because I don't want to hurt the person's feelings. I make them run down your selection of frozen meat products until I find something I really want and usually I their pastries, cakes and cookies or whatever else sugar-based treats they might offer. This always perplexes them. I don't think the food bank people would put up with this behavior from other folks who show up.

It is the season of the county fair. The county fair use to be held in Murray when I lived in Murray. They moved to fair way south on Redwood Road! Still, I figured there would be some form of public transit. Boy, was I wrong. The closest public transit would get me would be a about a mile away from the fair site. That's stupid. So, I pretty much hung out in my apartment the rest of the day. I got a great pound and a half is shredded steak from the food bank which I decided to use in making fahitasand I did with the green peppers, red peppers and onions. Turned out pretty good.

I still have to fold clothes and hang but I'll save that for tomorrow.




No comments: