Thursday, August 02, 2018

Memories


Image may contain: grass, outdoor and nature


I've never really sat down (yeah that's a joke I sit all-time) and enumerated all the things I cannot do because of my disability. There is a bunch things like close dancing, running on distances are short distances for that matter, running name in the snow urinating in the list goes on and on. However, as I said I've never sat down and done that is not productive probably somewhat depressing and certain level. That's okay though I'm so happy with what I have been able to do. I am truly lucky and blessed.

Yesterday, I noted an image that my, former brother-in-law posted on his Facebook page. His name is John and I really like John. I kind of miss him. John is a hard-core Christian and I do not hold that against him. What really fascinates me about John is how physical John is. When I first got to know this person he was in the military and he would sometimes have layovers at the Air Force Base about 40 or 50 miles away from our home in Murray. John would think nothing of jumping on bike and riding on from the Air Force Base to our home to visit. John a sense retired military as well as contract work in the Middle East and has settled with his wife in the rural community of Boone North Carolina. He has a beautiful house in a rustic setting which requires a great deal of physical labor. The image John sent was of a pile of split firewood. I can just imagine what that pile of what started out as and I'm sure John fell the trees, de-limbed them , cut the logs in the sections and proceeded to split the what and fireplace/wood-stove sizes. I took the image from the Facebook page posted on the beginning of this blog entry. What a beautiful piece of work. He said he loved the work and I can believe that. In my pre-adolescents we lived on a farm just outside Boise Idaho. There was a time when we use the honest to God potbellied stove to heat the house before my dad found us a furnace to burn. I got the job of splitting what for that stove and later for the furnace. Even though we burn coal my dad but also burn what to stretch the coalbin. A couple of good large pieces of what in the furnace when you go to bed at night will stay stoker from working quite a while. My point is, I love splitting wood, whether it was sectioned logs or scrap wood from packing crates furnaces will arrive in at my dad's shop and dad would beg the scrap wood which we would collect on Saturdays.We had a huge pile of the scrap wood and I could chop as much of that wood into sections as I wanted. I wood chop for hours sometimes. I particularly liked the lock sections and you knew you were getting accomplished when all it would take was one swing of the axe in the piece of wood split asunder – – I miss that, I miss hard work. I even tried splitting some wood a couple times after my accident but that was not wise. You have to be able to hold the ax securely For a bunch of reasons most importantly so that later the ax Would it not deflect off the wood and lacerate your leg/my leg. That never happened only because I was damn lucky.

But thanks John for posting the image let me remember but good honest work was/is. Swing well John and swing safe.

No comments: