Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Night Ride



I just got in from dinner and a movie. I forgot how delightful the Night Ride is. I did not take time to research the thousands of posts I've done but I know I probably spoken disparagingly of the Night Ride the transistor for bus service after 6 PM. I'm just so happy that I'm in my regular chair and that I did not stress the wiring too much on my ride.

It's kind of sad when you're banking on going to a restaurant/meal before an event like the movie only to find out the restaurant in mind actually closes at 3 PM! So the three of us, all people with significant disabilities, all using public transit at all connected with cell phone communication trying to figure out where to go with the new information about the closed restaurant. In that area that used to be a great little Chinese restaurant made from an old Shakey's pizza building, called the Ho Ho. Truth be told I was kind of interested and excited about going there as a default restaurant but alas the HoHo was gone replaced by some other restaurant. Two other places rechecked are also defunct. We finally caved and went to a fast food joint across street from the movie complex. Which is really not quite so bad a choice except for ingested way too many calories – – fortunately I can extend the morning starving myself for this possibility.

Anyway, I do not want to get caught up in minutiae, Suffice to say the movie was almost great but the company was better than three of us went up following the movie for our own public transit. Actually my friend Lori and I caught the bus for the same train station. It was still pretty early in the evening and the real night we just had not come out yet. Just those who had to work late at that thousand mile stare in their eyes. Skaters going somewhere with the long boards and bikers trying to find a place for their two wheelers. I finally got my station I still have two buses to catch the 54th and the 217. I had to wait about six minutes 54 seemed like forever, I was almost caught in a conversation by some gregarious biker one would know all about my disability. The Redwood Road stop came up quick leave me up on Redwood Road. Usually, the wait for the 217 is relatively quick not tonight. When I checked the online schedule is set I still have 45 minutes to wait so I put my chair and gear and headed home.

It was now dusk, I always marvel at the amount of planes coming in for landing at this point in time. There is a lot of rap coming from the cars it's kind of nice at least I like it. It's kind of a heartbeat for this part of town really makes you feel alive. I worried a little bit as I drove the three or four blocks to my apartments. Was is the exact kind of thing that generates the heat that melts the wires to my chair? I setting myself up to fail big time? I made it though the chair seems just fine. I really enjoyed coming home on the bus… Summer nights in the city.

No comments: