Sunday, November 25, 2018

Christmas Time



We are exactly one month away from Christmas day. I really have this weird preoccupation with the 25th of the month regardless of the month. I tend to focus everything on how far that 25th day of the month is from Christmas. I don't know why actually a do know why. I think Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year РРI know it sounds like a song but that's why it is a song, clich̩ or whatever. I live in perpetual hope that Christmas is going to be wonderful.

I'm anxious to start everything Christmas. One of the first things I do is try to get my Christmas cards out. I put them away after every year and then take you forever to find them the next. I have an idea of where my Christmas cards are at I just have to dig them out probably tomorrow. I begin with my relatives pretty much my immediate family. With 10 brothers and sisters (adoptive) that's quite a bit of cards to fill out. Postage never used the matter but now at almost $.60 a card wow. Have addresses for all my brothers and sisters except one. I sent him a card anyway via his older brother who usually knows how to get a hold of him when the need arises. Now there's the whole new “other” family I need to think about – – notice I did not say “worry”. I would just like to get one or two addresses to begin with send cards to. That there's a host of friends I would love to send cards to but I have no addresses. I kind of hate contacting somebody via the net and ask about what their physical addresses, and I must be very sure to let them know what it's for so they don't think I'm totally strange. But is it strange to send cards anymore? In this stage of multimedia, is that the right term? Maybe I should use term social media perhaps is just as best to send a card by the Internet. Perhaps a virtual card is okay for acquaintances and folks that you deal with once or twice a year but even then I don't really like sending personal greetings over the Internet. I should get over that obviously that's the way things are going. I like having a naturalist for a person so I can make out a card and send it. The person gets the card opens it and hopefully is delighted to see that someone thought enough send them a card. That dumb? If it is than I am.

I love the specialized programming of the Christmas season – – not so much the Christmas specials those are kind of trite – – but the great films and the not so great films. Holiday Inn, that one with Jimmy Stewart, Scrooged, A Christmas Carol (Dickens) Home Alone (the original) and a bunch more that I cannot even remember. Even if I don't sit down and watch these videos I hear them in the background and I've seen them so much but I know exactly what's going on by what I'm hearing. It just makes you think of Christmas.

Even though I rarely drink anymore I would like a good gin and tonic, black/white Russian and maybe a blush with a good meal of roast beef and are ham.

Cookies, I would like to take an evening to bake a couple of dozen cookies. I don't care what kind possibly very old-fashioned peanut butter crisscross cookies or oatmeal cookies with lots of raisins and nuts. Possibly sugar cookies cookie cuttered in the shapes of bells, Christmas trees, sleds and drums with that shiny red, green, white icing. This may not be the right place but I would also like a bowl of nuts, nuts in their shells that you have to crack and dig out. There's also peanuts I can't find them anymore that taste like what Christmas peanuts used to taste like. There is nothing special with them and they don't think they were necessarily roasted but there is a special flavor to the Christmas peanuts that I would get in my sock every year that I could not duplicate at any of the time of the year.

We are a month away from Christmas. I should start but I will wait until the end of the week for December 1. But already I'm getting filled with the spirit…


No comments: