Friday, November 30, 2018

Look Away… I'm hideous



Even though I don't believe it when you are person in a wheelchair you can just about get away with everything or anything you want if you do it just right. Not that I do that by any means, one also have to have major self-esteem the pull something like that off but I do okay.

Storms are coming to the Valley so they say. Begin to realize “they” say a lot as far as weather goes and rarely does the weather they say come about that's okay perhaps today was just the warm before the storm. Anyway, went all the way to the end of Redwood Road almost. I had to go to Create to get a replacement module for my power chair. Actually it's a knob which modulates the speed of whatever power level the chair might be in. This is the third knob I have had on this chair. I don't know what I did a couple weeks ago but all the sudden I noticed I did not have the knob and could not find tune the speed that I wanted. I actually at one point figured out how to keep the power setting that I wanted but I had to keep the chair at that speed I couldn't easily increase or decrease the speed I needed. I got by for a while but realized that I had to replace the knob for sure this morning in the shower when I noticed that my foot was kind of bloody. No, not super bloody but I remember last night running into the bookcase. I had my chair setting at power level for and all the way up within that level. So, even if I made a mistake the chair was quick to respond and by the time I knew anything was happening at rammed my foot into the bookcase. It didn't feel too bad and I didn't have any secondary symptoms such as pain are increased spasticity saw as a little surprised when my shower person revolted from my foot. There I realized I needed to fix the problem.

I was expecting pretty bad weather this morning I got up. However, by the time Dana left and I was dressed and ready for the day I could tell that the weather was not going to be too bad for a while. I figured I had time to get in to Create an back without enduring any major weather. I've dug out my foul weather/winter clothing in this year I've added to my arsenal of weapons against the cold. I have started wearing a lap blanket. I know this makes you look totally institutional and old but I don't care. I'm going with comfort. I'm also going to start collecting flannel blankets (that's what I'm using those flannel end cuts you can get at fabric shops everywhere). I was a little self-conscious at first but now I don't give a rats ass. And I think it does the job keeping me warm. And even if you end up looking like a complete dork doesn't matter because everybody thinks you're great for just doing it and they're happy as clams not having to see your pathetic disabled scrawny legs till next spring.

No comments: