Thursday, November 22, 2018

Fit For Me



Today was kind of weird– – Thanksgiving – – I felt like I was in the race and I was not in the race. No one was coming over, there is no reason to meet even finish making Thanksgiving dinner if I did not want to at least that's what I thought. But I felt reasonably good and finally got around to putting the dinner together.

Remember yesterday I made a dressing/stuffing and pumpkin pies. Should have put the pumpkin pies in the refrigerator overnight covered but I didn't. My apartment must be very dry the pumpkin pie quickly dried out kind of separating from the piecrust. I was not all that pleased with the piecrust this morning. Actually I thought/felt the crust tasted a little funky you know like too long in the freezer. But I leaned upon I anyway. I don't know how get it I will get both pies consumed is especially if I want to lose any weight. Today I was going to do the turkey in my new roaster. I got the turkey bags out and make sure I knew what I was doing with them and then finally finished the turkey out of the fridge. The turkey is only 10 pounds but still awkward the handle but I got out without issue. I struggled a little with cutting the that off of the bird and then getting into the plastic itself but finally got that accomplished too. Cleaned up the sinks earlier in the day make sure I had lots of room and the sinks are fairly clean. Took me forever to pull the guts out of the turkey cavities making sure I got the packet stuck out of the neck skin. I want the carcass then wrestled it to be making sac/bag. I'm just glad I did not drop the turkey on the floor at any time. You remember I purchased the roaster from my neighbor. I was feeling pretty stoked that I was not going to get the roaster dirty because I was cooking the turkey in a bag. I did everything right and it was kind of tricky getting the bird in the bag but I remember to put in the tablespoon of flour (so the bag would not explode) but I forgot but that venting slits into the bag. Then it also took forever to cinch the little plastic device around the neck of the bag making sure everything stayed in the back. I opened the can of cranberry sauce but it is a plastic container and then come out for the next 3 ½ hours. I got my armed bike workout finished. And as I got closer to the end of the cooking cycle I dug out three potatoes peeled them and got potatoes ready to boil for the mashed potatoes.

I was concerned because I think the bird at 350° which the bag said to do but the directions on the plastic bag particular called for temperature of 325°. I got kind of worried because I thought perhaps the extra 25° possibly my least to overcooking. I really had not put much thought into the endgame but sure enough. Little red plunger was sticking out at the best of Turkey like it was really happy to see me. Like I said I really hadn't thought through how I was going to get the turkey up to a level where I could pull the turkey out of the bag. I kept myself busy and let the oven/turkey cooldown to where I could comfortably work on the bird. Even when the temperature finally dropped 12 point of being able to lift the roaster from the oven top of the cabinets where I could work on the bird. I did not drop subverted all think it's I realized that's what I went to try to lift the bird free of the plastic bag that the task was going to be a really significant challenge. When I tried to lift the legs of the turkey deboned just slipped out of the leg portion. The same happened when I tried to lift the rib cage out and meet some finished it just fell off the bones. I had to pull the pieces of one piece of the time but on the plate.

I didn't open up any vegetables canned or otherwise except for the potatoes and mashed quite significantly with the electric mixer. I figure this is going to be basic meat and potatoes dinner. I don't know what happened to be brown sugar I know I have a new bag kicking around somewhere but cannot find them so I did not cook the candied yams which was a blessing and probably in a lot of ways. I didn't open the all lives.

About 4 o'clock I had my Thanksgiving dinner. A few pieces of turkey smallish but they were actually tasty. I really quite enjoyed the meal. I don't know if it would have been better with people all I know is accepted dinner fit for me.

No comments: