Friday, November 09, 2018

Kim


.

This is my old best friend Kim. I like that term “old best friend”that's part of the lyrics of a song that I can't quite pull out of my head early 70s late 60s. I can almost hear it, the songsort of like from a ballot is some sort. About somebody he used to be his best friend but now wasn't you to circumstances beyond his control.

There was a time in Kim and I were pretty close. Were both from Idaho and end up working at the same private nonprofit in the middle 80s of the last century. Kim was the counselor at this facility as well as the IT jock (of course back then that's not what it was called – – there was no position for information technology. All things information technological was Kim's domain. Somehow he finagled to get the first computer in the office and from then on out he was the computer meister/tech meister. My office was at the end of the hall Kim's was almost at the end but our offices are situated such that we could see each other with that when the doors were open. There is a third office at the end of the hall directly across is Kim's and eventually our friend Julie took the office. Julie ran an education program for folks with disabilities. We're like this tripod at the end of the hall which recalled “the Tower of power”. One other person knew us as the Tower of power but that's a whole another story. Kim is amazing I don't have the time nor the patience, right now, to go into “Kim”. Cuba do anything you ask him to within limits. I don't know if Kim is just a damn nice guy are can't say no or both. Kim help me move in to my little house off of third South and 600 E. my first came to Salt Lake. He built a ramp into my home not only one ramp but the ramp into my home I moved into a brick house in Murray. Kim is worked on my car, my power chair in the part of my life as no one else ever has. I don't know if I was his best friend – – I doubt that I was – – but he was mine the least that's what I want to believe and that is what I'm going to say.

I left the independent living center maybe 20 years ago now, I'm old and retired living by myself in senior housing. Kim still works at the independent living center. It really is the only job he's ever had. Went to work at the ILC right after college/university. He's quietly put together all things cyber at the office. He is totally reworked the computer networks and systems I don't know how many times. He has also continued to act as a counselor to folks with disabilities. Kim is a much better technician on hard Intel. However he is always been told it involved the operation of the organization, actually running a lot of the books, involved in every aspect of management and act as attendant care to staff who have significant disabilities. He's been a driver, camp counselor, camp director and on and on and on. Kim has the intellect and probably the drive took been a top-notch physician or research physician or research scientist but has elected to stay beneath all radars and work in private nonprofit industry to the frustration of loving parents. These active in his church also playing a lot of the same roles at his place of worship. This is just the stuff I know of. I have no idea what other stuff Kim's got going and how deep it goes guys just totally amazing. Every year he helps dress me up as Santa Claus when I go to the center and perform my ritual as St. Nick. Many times during the year that the most we can visit are the most intimate we can visit. I often to attend the center Halloween party this year. I can't remember why I just did. Of course Kim now is associate director of the operation was as always making sure everything is functioning properly. We visited briefly and I tried not to get in his way. He chose to be a mad scientist I think this year not far off task our point.I'm sure he'll never read this nobody does that's okay it's out there. I love you Kim thanks for being part of my life hopefully this unit couple weeks it's almost Christmas.

No comments: