Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Prelude To A Dinner…



I started with the stuffing – – it seemed like the easiest thing to do. Actually, it started way before then. For some reason I don't remember quite why but I started this project thinking I had a roaster for my turkey. As I got looking I remembered that the last turkey cooked was just parts of a turkey. Last year or the year before about this time I wanted to have at least a taste of the holiday so I purchased just a turkey breast and two legs. You know you can do that. The butcher in the back of well carve it up up to what you want really is quite nice. That is really what I should've done this year but since I did not buy the turkey, having one donated to me gave me the challenge of cooking another bird. There really is nothing like. So, my plan if you remember is to do my cooking in increments.

So get this I realized I didn't have any sage. Really, I know I have sage here somewhere I just cannot find it anywhere. So I took off immediately for the market across the street and as I was leaving my apartment I ran into my neighbor who was leaving for the senior center and suggested that I should check over there for a roaster at the senior center bizarre, and small little secondhand shop. I actually thought about checking it out but decided I needed to just give the show on the road about across street and purchased a roaster, a bottle of sage and a couple cans of chicken broth. I was set to go. (Interesting note as I was working out on my bike my neighbor knocked on the door to let me know she found a roaster but she brought over to see if I wanted it. I told her that I purchased a roaster but decided to check it out later anyway when I finished. Turns out it's a huge beautiful, almost antique roaster which cost five bucks, three dollars cheaper than the roaster from Fresh Market. I actually took the roaster back to the market returned the device picked up a bag of carrots.

I love the smell of onions, celery and butter wilting down getting ready to be used for the stuffing. I got a box of instant stuffing from the food bank I didn't realize what could use it but this morning Dana my morning staff said yeah just at the vegetables like you would the bread and stuff which I did and it turned out good enough for me for Thanksgiving and made the apartment smell wonderful . I threw it all together along with a can of chicken broth and the name but is in the bread pan and cook it for a half-hour. I will get tomorrow with my turkey. This will work just fine.

I gave myself a small break, did a cryptogram and started on the pies. I kind of wished I'd had liquor store and got a bottle of Tanqueray not a big bottle a mini if they still have those. I'm surprised at how well the pies went together. I had to private crusts frozen in the freezer I think from last Thanksgiving. They seemed okay a little crumbly. I slopped the pies pretty bad putting them in the oven but I got them in more or less they cooked. They're still in their cooling down. I hope they turned out okay. Doesn't matter I'm the only one who will know , one way or the other. So I'm kind of done for now. The kitchen is not that much of a mess which kind of amazes me. I even got some bags that I will put the bird in when I roast him tomorrow. I'm going to use the new/old roaster. It should be super easy to clean up when I'm done. I have olives, cranberry sauce and I'm thinking of making some mashed potatoes but will have to see about that. I thought about Jell-O but I doubt I will do anything and that area, just to messy. It's kind of fun. It's also kind of pathetic but I'm trying not to dwell on that.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

You are a better man than me. I have never cooked a turkey.