Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Oral Stones



My life is evaporating day by day week by week month by month adding up to be year-by-year going by so quickly I can barely stand it. This morning while I was guiltily munching corn chips, huge Frito corn chips actually they're called Frito corn scoops for dipping, when all of a sudden I felt a rock rolling around in my mouth! I of course did a middle evaluation of everything had been that morning and they could not recall eating rocks. I thought of course immediately blaming the folks at Frito-Lay and immediately relinquishing them from blame. By this time, I had swallowed the processed corn chip and was playing tongue soccer with the rock. I finally coached the rock onto the tip of my tongue which I placed then on the tip of one finger to examine this foreign object. The object was small, very small tamales amazed at how large they feel in the mouth but on inspection are minute. The item was about a small but it was dark and black as if it was a meteor which had fallen through the universe of my head landing in my mouth. I then recalled the last time something like this happened, the debris was the same color however a bit larger and more flat. I searched my mouth with my tongue and indeed found a rear tooth facing hollowed out as if a piece had fallen off the surface of the tooth which indeed had. The small rock I now had on my fingertip another piece of my tooth are more correctly and ancient filling which no longer could hold on to the two and fell away.

This filling was no doubt put on 20 some years ago, at least by great dentist named Drew Luke. Drew of course has long retired and probably fishing salmon somewhere up in Alaska. When I went through this “terror” last year my new dentist assured me that it was good work Drew had done but had run its technological course with the technology used or available at that time. I put the new tooth and envelope marked “frag” and put it on my desk. Luckily, I'm experiencing no discomfort in fact I can't even feel a surface of my teeth wear this piece could've originated. There is a “post” standing all by itself in the very back of my mouth on the lower left-hand side , so far back that my tongue cannot get back there to feel the surface of that to I'm sure that's where it's from. And who knows maybe it's just a stone that has become dislodged from the lip or something. However with my luck I'm sure it's a good piece of work for Dr. Alan to consider. I'm not anticipating really any discomfort/pain except to my bank account if indeed we go that process. If it's the tooth I suspect the piece came from that must be saved at all costs, will sort of at all costs. If I don't have that molar it would be hard to do any grinding on that side of the mouth. I guess I could get one of those new 'teeth' drilled in to my mouth.

So tomorrow or Friday I'll call to make an appointment to assess the damage and see where we go from there. Sigh :-(

No comments: