Sunday, November 04, 2018

A Cold And Cloudy Sunday




It's a total in-house coffee morning…the sky is slate gray, it's dark and damp and the cool wind blows reminded me that summer is definitely gone. The trees still have an abundance of leaves that their falling by the minute and the wind whisks them away as they tumbled to the earth. I rolled out to the front of the building to check on the common room for today's events and came across my friend Tricia coming in from the park who just walked her dog. She commented on how brisk the morning was. I don't know why but I was instantly transported back to my early days in Salt Lake in the middle 80s.

I was living downtown actually 614 E. 300 S. I really loved that little house I lived in. The house was just down from liberty Park in on the corner across the street from liberty Park was a coffee shop/house which at once been a 7-Eleven but now they pushed coffee all day long. But I really enjoyed about the coffee shop was that it had a great view of liberty Park not cold autumn days especially Sunday mornings a great place to sit , drink coffee and visit with friends or just people watch. I was still pushing a manual wheelchair and quite frankly it was not the best chair on earth. I was still new to Salt Lake and quite frankly trying to survive in a big city on one paycheck, more debt than I would like and really how to take care of myself. I like to talk about Salt Lake being just a big town, Cowtown or whatever but still a lot bigger than Blackfoot Idaho. But I got around well driving a questionable vehicle, public transit and pushing myself around downtown. I loved cloudy days in the fall.

Somewhere someone pushed the button on the “way back” machine in my head and I was sitting in the student union at Boise State University in the way early 70s. In the student union cafeteria in the corner by the Windows was a huge roundtable where a perpetual group sat and be Bdes day long. The group is made up of nerds and Vietnam vets. The table sat about 20 people and folks would come to the table sit for a few minutes, and our will in some cases all day. There's a constant influx and out flux of people but there is always somebody at the table and tell 10 PM when they threw us all out. On cold, windy, wet cloudy mornings it was the hardest thing to do to get bundled up and push my chair all the way across campus to the science building where majority of my classes seemed to be. I may not gotten back to the table at the student union (S U B) student union building but always seemed that's where I started out oh yeah, that's right, that's the semesters I lived on campus and had my meals at the student union especially breakfast.

My little coffee shop across the street from my apartment complex is closed on Sunday! Can you believe that? Of all the days the week for a coffee shop to be close Sunday should be the day it is open. I guess I could go to one of the two restaurants a block away from my apartment complex Dee's and the village Inn was not quite the same especially the village Inn way don't suck cups of coffee anymore you end up having to buy the whole carafe. So the next best thing is to make coffee in my apartment of my Windows to a cloudy Park and write about autumn days past.

No comments: