Sunday, November 18, 2018

T-Week :-)



It's officially Thanksgiving week which I love regardless of being retired or not. It's not like I'm going to do anything different this week except bake a turkey and maybe a pie and maybe some of the condiments that go along with Thanksgiving dinner but I don't think I'll be doing anything collectively with any group of people. That's okay, it's not a real big deal for me. I like to blame the fact that I'm living on my own and that even if I did have transportation (I do have a van that's true but I don't drive that have to have someone else do the driving) I don't believe there are any home as I could get into for the Thanksgiving feast short of my old home on Utahna drive, I don't even know if the ramp is still in place if I was able to get an invitation to a dinner there. I guess if I really wanted to (I was actually momentarily fantasizing sitting in my old manual chair and hounding relatives to the point that they would open their homes to me on Thanksgiving – – those that would be willing to drag me up steps and stairs). Wow, how desperate would a person have to be to go to those kind of length to get invited to a Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner.?

Oh yeah, Thanksgiving week, that's what I was rambling about before I got carried away into social isolation land. But I'm kind of excited. Yesterday, Saturday, as usual was food bank day. That wonderful day when I cruise across the driveway to the food bank wait in line with my little basket on my lap, with all the other “poor people” in this area, waiting for the doorbell the sound meaning it's my time into the food bank proper where I'll be bestowed my weekly ration of protein and Staples. Last year I really hadn't been using the food bank services very much at this point in time so I wasn't really sure how turkeys and all that would go. You will remember that I had us stint working with 211 a couple years back and truly, Thanksgiving and Christmas are major days in the food bank world were literally tons of turkeys are given away. Since this year I been much more active with the food bank program I was astounded to receive not only my regular protein allotment chicken frozen and a ribeye steak frozen but one turkey (10 pounds) and better yet the total fixings, well almost total but, the canned good fixings of a typical Thanksgiving dinner. One can of olives, what can of cranberry sauce, one can of beef gravy, one can of green beans one can of corn, two cans of evaporated milk, one can of pumpkin, one can of yams, one box of dressing (bread), one box of RiceaRoni the San Francisco treat. I have no idea what the box of Rice a Roni is for but I just did a quick search of the rice product and found all kinds of options. That's pretty exciting. Later on yesterday afternoon I did a quick trip over to the market and got some celery and onions just on the off chance I would actually make some dressing.

As I write this I must confess I begin to drool a little bit. A little disappointed in that I really am quite frightened that anything I eat can be added weight. I think I may put my diet on hold until after the new year – – is Kim would say is and that just stinking thinking? I cleaned the kitchen a little bit yesterday and I think I'll do some more work on it today in anticipation of doing some early cooking for my holiday. I have the turkey in the refrigerator of course and I think it's on its way to being defrosted. I might even put most of the meal together on Wednesday and then just cook the the turkey Thursday morning. What kind of proud of myself from the shopping expedition I did yesterday I did not pick up my customary Clover club potato chips figuring I have enough materials as it is.

Yes I am totally excited, not jumping up and down excited as kids get this time of the year but a small warm happy feeling deep down in my cockles knowing this is the season to be thankful and you know what I am.

No comments: