Monday, November 05, 2018

Flash Back Monday@Trolley Square



The halls at Trolley Square eerily empty, kind of spooky a little creepy.

I've written about “Kid Day” before in this blog. I haven't gone back to research about exactly what I've written about but in short Kid Day were those Saturdays that I would go over and pick up my kids for a Saturday out. For the most part there is myself and four kids: my two and my ex's two she hatched out after she remarried. We count them as family because they are family and we're altogether on the Saturdays when we would go out drive around Salt Lake City try to find out the least expensive ways to have fun but more than anything else just enjoy ourselves being together. We did this for a number of years back in the 80s before life changed so much that it was no longer a doable function. However, today was a throwback to those days

Mark and Shelley and the two girls Brisa and Riley all piled together in the wheelchair van and we took off for Trolley Square. Trolley Square was one of the main hangouts for us in the early days. Not only was it an enclosed environment but it had a decent food court in a videogame arcade where everyone could find something to do and somewhat enjoyable. As the name indicates Trolley was manufactured from the old trolley Barnes and salt lakes day of trolley cars. The places catacomb with walkways and cobbled stone paths with shops everywhere at least it used to be that way however now it seems to have been going through a slow death saddens that is I don't know why. I don't think it's because of its elitist attitude though that cannot be helpful. There are a lot of great shops or were great shops in the facility but they've all disappeared it seems.

I could tell we were making managers of the different shops that we went into nervous. When shopping particular we all love was a place called Tabula Rosa just as the name says it's a stationary shop and so much more. Very high end pens, inks , custom paper products lots of journals and tablets of all kinds – – the old kind, things you have to write in with the pen aand ink. Beautiful things that you give the people who work for you 20 years or more when you're very serious on setting them on their way with a real momen of how appreciated the retired workersservice. I twisted their floor covering when I was turning around in the chair and bunched up the floor covering and I thought the owner was going to faint. I got out of there as quick as I could without endangering anything else. The food courts are gone as is the arcade. Mark thinks possibly the problem is that a number of years ago maybe 20 now there was a mass shooting at trolley Square. I don't remember how many people were assassinated but people say that that was the end of trolley Square. It said that trolley never rebounded from the stain that left on the facility. I don't know if I buy that but I don't know what else to think. The trolley is picturesque will service by street traffic as well as the light rail. Trolley still has some good restaurants and venues for concerts and other sources of entertainment. It was fun showing the girls were released to go on kid Day and explain them what we did and how we enjoyed this facility. They did a good job of entertaining the adults as we roamed around searching for pieces of our lost past in days when a great afternoon was just hanging out hitting the different shops and trolley Square.

No comments: