Saturday, January 27, 2024

Lucky find





My upstairs neighbor, Irene, finally passed this last week. She was in her early 90s and she was ready to go. Irene was one of the first people I met when I moved into this joint and she was a bit crotchy and irritable and really kind of tired of living All Things Considered. She even made comments about how depressed she would be sometimes when she woke up and realize she had another day of living to go through. She was highly involved with the goings on here at the facility. Pretty much ran the Thursday morning coffee group as well as making the coffee and making sure the refreshments are out and everything was taken care of. She was always walking around the building day or night sometimes I think she was up all night walking around. But, she finally got her wish and now she's gone. She really didn't have anyone to mourn for her one son who was somewhat distant all the other family members she outlived. It's the way that she wanted it though she didn't want a lot done at her passing. Interesting however that a lot of her stuff from her apartment has been showing up at the giving table edging out what food might be there. Lots of dishes and plates and glasses and comforters a few dish rags a lot of other weird stuff that is someone accumulates over a lifetime that nobody else wants but you can't quite just throw it away. I went back a couple of times and each time I went there was more stuff there so it must have been an all-day project for the family that was left to clean out the apartment. I was surprised and I'm kind of excited finally to see this microwavable safe warm up vessel. I've been looking for these for a long time and have not been quite sure how to go about finding them. Diane had a number of these over the years at our place there on utahna I really enjoyed them as far as warming up stuff but they would finally drop at one point or another and break and they would be gone. This one I grabbed however and realizing for the first time there was riding on the back of the device and and it was the actual name of the company that made these microwavable safe warming devices. I don't see a lot of new ones being made but there's a quite a few of used ones on eBay being offered which I might consider purchasing two or three more of the vessels. They really are quite nice for warming up dinners and food and stuff like that. Again it's like welcoming home an old friend.


I cooked a roast tonight so that I'd have dinner tonight as well as easy eating tomorrow over the Sabbath. I will not have to cook anything. I'm still letting the roast cool down so I can throw into a gallon bag along with the taters and the onions that I cooked with the meat. I wish I'd had some carrots that would have given the dish a little more color and round it out the flavor. I'm kind of excited now however to be able to use this new covered dish for heating up the leftovers of this roast. I like it when Saturday night winds up on an up note… 

No comments: