Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Can I Have More Sir?


I cannot believe how much time I'm spending on public transit. I have to admit I love the system, I love having a card that allows me to go anywhere I want to within a service system which everything I worked for went I was with with independent living. It really is a good system all things considered. There are changes in store for the system, change management at the top which I think would make a better system and I hope more options for folks with disabilities, low-income and the basic Rider.

The constant reader will remember that I spent some time a couple years backWorking as an operator for 211. 211 is a good system however it is a private nonprofit and really, I do not think, can stand on its own so must be attached to a larger organization. The old days it was assigned to a private nonprofit which was a really do-gooder group. Cannot remember exactly what happened to the organization or even its name right now but they sort of went down and when 211 resurfaced actually went to understand the United Way got stuck with 211. That sounds crass I know but that's sort of how I see it. I really side when I worked there. 211 was sort of stuck to the back of United Way floor. 211 was a ragtag group Of do-gooders. Kids finishing college, moms and grandpas and folks trying to do good. United Way on the other hand was a slick, top-drawer operation ran by polished seniors in the cross-section of overachieving beautiful youth who not only want to make a difference But Make some money at the same time. Boy, I could tell I was way out of my league whenever I wandered over to the United Way side of the floor. I made a couple of good friends when I work 211. I have kept up with them kind of through social media. I've had a couple of lunches with some of the United Way folk. This week I had lunch with Heather. There are two Heather and Linda. Not that it matters that they were to Asian women, young and relatively new to United Way I suspected. They have to have lunch in this little bitty room that sat about four tables, a sink and of course the mandatory microwave. I don't quite remember how it happened, I doubt that I was forward enough the to invite Them to My table So I figured they Invited me to theirs. We developed a friendship sort of like Seinfeld and reverse I was
Elaine. We did not hang out at each other's homes. In fact only contact was during work, at lunch a quick 30 minutes.

United Way is having their annual summer picnic the summer picnic is quite an event. I've never gone only heard of it. They always choose a place of the border of Salt Lake County seems to me. This year it's sort of up in the foothills of Salt Lake and I know no bus goes there. So I basically shrugged the picnic off again. I've gotten a number of emails from people who desire me to go. I conveniently and defeatedly said I could not make it.


But I've been thinking about it today. And I wonder if I take the bus to the end of the line which is at the base of the area going up to the picnic area then call Ute Red Cab for the rest of the trip.. The trip with cost some dough but I'll bet would be doable. So now I'm thinking might not go for it and join the rest of the bastard children at the picnic table and ask for more.

No comments: