Friday, July 07, 2017

Drop A Little Here Drop A Little There


One of the biggest challenges I have to deal with as a partial quad or tetraplegic I guess as I am now known is my inability to make a real grasp on to grasp something that I might particularly want. I have to acknowledge that I am extremely fortunate because 80% of the time (I think that's a fairly accurate statistic) I can usually get what I want if it is in reachable distance. Again, I'm so fortunate and thankful I have disability for as so many of the folks I know are in am aware of with high cortical insults cannot grasp or hold.

Luckily my “monkey paw” is not as severe as most. I have pretty good thumb resistance which allows me a partial grasp and hooking capability. This was particularly helpful when I was still in the push chair or manual chair. But I still use this capability more than I am aware I'm sure on a daily basis, everything from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night and everything in between. Something I've really noticed lately is that I do not know if it's worse but I'm noticing that the deficiency more and that is I'm dropping stuff all the time and it seems everywhere. I noticed that mostly here at the apartment and dropping items like spoon sports and hooks. Hooks more than anything but I did notice I broke the bowl I have been using the past year. The chip ceramic piece that I have been particularly fond and it slipped out of my hands I was watching and hit the sink just the right way and broke the piece in half. I did not mourn too awfully much the piece was old by my standards and quite frankly I'm surprised the piece of ceramic lasted as long as it did. Now, I'm excited about heading to the DI or someplace similar to find another piece of art to eat with which to eat  my breakfast .

Today I noticed my particular bout of dropsy which manafested itself when I was trying to get cans and plastic bags of Chinese noodles from their stacked position on the grocery aisle. The Chinese noodles usually a pretty easy because they are like filled with air if there packaged correctly. The air in the bag is resisting to my hand and usually allows me the catch the bag between my thumb and forefinger allowing me enough grip to transfer the bag from shelf level to the basket sitting on my lap. Usually, the items I'm trying to get hold of our stacked all the way back to the wall on the back of the shelf so when I press the item it's easier to get hold of. But today it seems that the cans of peppers as well as the noodles were just one row deep on the shelf so each time my hands touched the bag they seem to fall onto the floor. I eventually got what I wanted without having to bother anyone but getting these items was a mighty strugg.

Last night as I did some fast shopping for salad materials I was trying to pick up a carton of those little tomatoes in the produce department. Usually they are packed in a pretty sturdy little container but I ended up dropping at least two containers that seemed to explode all over the floor. After the first container dropped I should start looking for a manager but I was focused at that point to do it, to get the box of tomatoes at all cost into my lap. Eventually I did but look like a tomato massacre and produce. I slapped my chair into fourth gear and booked ass out of Produce.


Life goes on and so do I, I got everything home and only dropped one breakable item and thank goodness the bottle to not break. I am now considering getting the bottle off the floor are waiting until my home health person, Honey comes tonight for my shower. I think I'll wait.

No comments: