Thursday, July 06, 2017

Hot Day, Summer In The City


The day was not what I had expected. I had expected a group of unruly folks with disabilities and others to take over a senator's office for the day. That's what I was told we were going to do. So, I did everything I thought that I should to be a participant in this event which was to begin at 8 o'clock in the morning. I woke very early to make sure that I would be able to get to the bus or the train whenever I needed to get to the federal building at 8 o'clock. Sorry to say, I was not exactly on time which I kind of figured would not be a big issue since the event was supposed to go all day long. Still though I was part of the group and wanted to be there for the beginning for solidarity.

When I finally arrived when I got off the train and went through the block to State Street they (one of the groups participating in this event) was setting up which you been the first clue. Setting up?! That sort of tipping your hand Isn't it?Small pavilions are popping up all around the entrance of the federal building like mushrooms. Tables were placed in the middle under the pavilions.. There were a host of pink T-shirts which is synonymous with Planned Parenthood. People who were not wearing Planned Parenthood T-shirts mostly women were shucking their shirts and putting the T-shirts on. If one did not know any better one would think this was a Planned Parenthood operation and maybe it was but there are other fractionate groups there as well mostly women. These women are powerful in their own minds and in reality they are driving a lot of good things, I feel in this town and across the country. DRAC was supposed to be there, I don't know if I would've gone if I thought DRAC was not going to be in attendance. I was there for approximately 7 hours maybe six before I had to leave to go help with treasure Island at the library.


The first part of the day the sun was behind the great federal building walls and sitting out on the patio of the federal building was not so bad. I pretty much sat by myself I don't know why has been such an isolate. In fact one of the organizers P Sara came by a couple times coaxing me to join in with the rest of the group But I held back. In fact I probably would've left earlier had I not thought that Lori Brock, my friend, was considering coming down to the event. I was still looking for members of DRAC to show up which I thought would buy at least 12 o'clock if not 1 o'clock. They had a small presentation which sort of faltered because of lack I think of enthusiasm. They could've been the heat as well. Planned Parenthood did a great job of passing out water, from popsicles and ice. Finally after lunch the sun conquered the wall and what little bit of cloud cover had been protecting us evaporated very soon begin to get the day's heat. I left it 2:30 PM, my friend and not shown up so I figured she had gotten wise estate somewhere cool. I saddle up and found the train to West Jordan library. I will not say this was a wasted day for me. I enjoyed being at the federal building even with this group of people in solidarity against the A CA change.. It's not what I expected. I would like to have had more people disability show up much can have everything. The best part was having some place to go, something to do and best of all something to talk about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed to miss you--and it seems, we just missed each other. I had bought a change of clothing, and extra food and water in case we were stuck protesting for a much longer time. I expected to storm Hatch's office and not leave until dragged out or until some show of good faith was made. What happened was actually a rally, not a protest. It was a worthy goal in itself, and there should be more of them, but let's not confuse them with protests.

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Thank you for your comment, as usual your spot on. I to sad that I missed you. However Treasure Island waits for no man/woman…