Sunday, July 23, 2017

My sister, Faye and me, circa 1955

I have many food weaknesses that is self-evident. However perhaps the food of which have most forms is the potato chip. I'm not sure if it's the crisp nature of the more so, the salt of the overall flavor but I've always loved the chips. This is probably only natural sense I come from Idaho the “potato state”. I have tasted chips from Maine to Oregon but to the best of my mind I don't potato chip is the best and the best of the best is Clover Club potato chips.

I come from a large family, very working-class family as blue-collar as one can get. I followed the sheet-metal worker, the union man with 5 to 6 kids at home any given time and sometimes more. We lived on a small acreage south of Boise Idaho. We had 5 to 7 milk cows, usually steer to be slaughtered in the fall always a garden and pasturing hayfield. When my mother once the market it was for the best deals (which now I fully understand). We really bought anything because it was a brand or a top-of-the-line product. Mom shopped at the bakery outlet store which is where, if we had potato chips we got our potato chips. My mother would bring home literally bags of bread with for the most part go into a huge amount Amana freezer. And from time to time she bring home huge sacks of potato chips. I loved and appreciated the bags of potato chips. These chips were perfectly good taste and quality it was just that very guarded and few chips were larger than your thumb nail seemed to me. These are the chips that were broken and smashed during production one reason or another. Because no will not be sold as regular potato chips. I guess they were summer like surplus or damaged product. I found out that many times these chips, and barrels that never make it to the store floor the Out back in the store on the loading dock waiting for the pig farms to come and collect the barrel of broken ships.  Of course I heard this for evermore they were “pig chips”. My best friend of course, who I had lunch with everyday, mother packed Clover Club potato chips. To me Clover club potato chips with the best. Huge chips make the best of our algorithms specialized flavor. I almost hit by chips so that John would not see them. Tiny fragments of chips which should have gone to the farms.

However, at least two holidays here sometimes more from other work breakdown and purchase Clover clock chips: 4 July or 24 July. Sometimes even Thanksgiving or Christmas we would get Clover club chipsand as Robert Frost said, that made all the difference.

Say, my older sister, had birthday last week. Who knows how old she really it's? But I do know she's at least 10 years older than I and I'm 66.. She once was employed at the Clover club factory in Boise. And made our family of 5 foot bag of potato chips for us to take on a trip to Canada, one summer.she was amazed I remembered this event. I think she said it was 67 years ago which I question the math but the point is the event it happened and there is probably a potato chips to cover my body had been able to get away with getting someone to do so. Last night was the market and purchased two banks of Clover club dictatorships one original and one barbecue just because I could. Happy holidays everyone.



No comments: