Monday, July 31, 2017

Bon appetit






I felt a bit groggy this morning as I got up. I stayed up again too late messing around with Lori texting. If I knew how to sleep in better I certainly would have done it this morning. Chasing around my tablet last night I noticed an entry in the calendar for today. I had a DRAC planning meeting. This is a meeting I'd just as soon not go to cuz I think they are so poorly put together but as I said in a blog entry not long ago this is an organization that is growing and should be supported in that effort. So I figure why not? If nothing else that will give me a good reason to get out the door and a feeling that I've achieved something this day. As I was driving up to the parking lot to go out the back gate to the sidewalk I noticed Jim's lights to his new vehicle was on at the same time I noticed that my bus was just coming into the bus stop and there was no way I was going to make it. I certainly had the time now so I flipped around headed back to the apartments and told Jim about his vehicle .


Done my good deed for the day return to the bus stop made my trip into the train station where I jumped on Route 200 which then would drop me off close to County Housing Authority where DRAC  meeting is to be held. I was about a half hour early the meeting was to be at 1:05 p.m. so I figured hey maybe I'll get lucky and dick will have brought lunch like he always does. Lunch is off couple of 2 ft 3 ft long deli sandwiches which are then cut up into sections for the participants. He also drags in 3 pretty big bags of chips which I enjoy more than anything else. I don't Bank on him bringing lunch but he often does and I've learned that from the meetings called for a weird time like 1:05 p.m. that means lunch is served earlier then the meeting starts. I got down to the basement there was no one there. That's cool I thought who needs lunch? But the very second I thought that my stomach was hit the pangs of hunger and I hoped that I was just early and dick wood show up with the goods. It did not happen. No one showed up I waited for 15 minutes after one and I called it a no-show and left.


I still want to lunch now and I wasn't sure where to go. I kind of wanted Mexican but I wanted something good something better than normal something unusual. Around the corner from the Housing Authority there's a place called The Bad Ass Coffee Company. They serve Hawaiian coffee. I used to have coffee in this building every morning before I went to work when I was employed at the Independent Living Center. Now connected to this coffee shop is a smaller shop sandwich between the badass and the huge Mexican restaurant. This little space is been a number of different organizations or operations now it was a middle eastern restaurant. Indian and Pakistani food. I have avoided this kind of stuff for the longest time. Diane kind of likes this food I think the spice is scared me. But today I was willing to give it a shot especially because I live across the street from an Indian and Pakistani food store and there might even be a restaurant there I have never really checked. The place was deserted except for a business lunch of 3 people. They were about ready to leave. There was just one employee that I could see who welcomed me I think he was also the owner. He sat me down and handed me a plastic coated lunch menu with pictures. Long story short I had the beef kebab, made out of ground beef but it was good enough. Had a little pile of rice with some sort of gravy on it and a piece of flatbread. The mail was pretty darn good almost great. The threesome left shortly after I sat down and for the rest of it meal I was the only one there except for the proprietor and a television set with some Indian soap opera droning on and on and on.


Today was a good day I was surprised even though I missed my meeting I ended up having a cultural experience and a good meal. But I left the proprietor asked me that I tell everybody I know about his little restaurant. I asked him how business was and he said it was okay you said you'd been there for years as if that was an indication of how well he was doing. I guess it was a way of saying I'm still here. I'm going to post the card for the operation if any of you get an Inkling for Indian / Pakistani food stop in here and give it a shot. Bon appetit.

No comments: