Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Mythology Of Youth


I was conflicted today greatly so. I was supposed to go to a board meeting at DRAC. DRAC you will recall is that group of people disabilities actively working to bring about a better reality for those with disabilities not only on the local level but it the national level as well. This is the same group that I went to two meetings earlier this month and there was no one else in attendance. In fact on Tuesday, yesterday there was supposedly an action that I went to and it had been canceled. Luckily one of the members of DRAC was there to let me know. I appreciate that Dick did take any effort To let me know. He also let me know how much you want me to attend the board meeting this afternoon. I told him I would try but I have company coming in from out of town meeting with me at 3 PM and so the meeting was at 1:15 PM. I just didn't know how it's going to get the meeting still make it back to the apartment to be with my friend when he arrived. And there's still the issue of a set of batteries that is holding a charge less and less.

Midmorning I make decision to blow off my board meeting. I felt justified in being stood up twice in the same month. My friend is is most likely the only time I will visit with him in person this year or who knows when ever. I felt better immediately. I sidestepped a whole bucket load stress. Now I stressed Over what to tell my home health aide who generally does my Wednesday program at about 4 o'clock. I was not sure where I was going to be at 4 o'clock. Fortunately, Dennis, my friend, called about 130 me know that he was in the area and was going to find my apartment. Almost an hour ahead of schedule by the comfort and feeling we would be done well before 6 o'clock when my home health professional told me she needed to be done with me. Everything was turning out fine.

Dennis is a friend I've had since my early days in Boise. He and I were in the same ecclesiastical unit: ward. Have not seen him for more than 20 years I thought it was longer but he corrected. He was a nerd and I was a nerd and we tend to hang out with other nerds in Boise in the mid-60s. I had my wreck and Dennis got drafted among otherwise shattering events and we lost contact with each other as things go. We linked up again a couple months ago Thanks to Facebook, of course. I was totally surprised the other day when he called out the blue let me know is coming through Salt Lake today.


We had a meeting of nearly an hour and a half. I'm sure we could have easily gone longer maybe maybe we will.I do not know how long is an area but I think he has to get back to his world soon. We had a good visit we enjoy each other's company and enjoy debunking various myths of our youth and adolescence. It was great to be with someone who could validate my youth.

No comments: