Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Boom !!




Boom! It feels like a bomb just one inside my head and try to figure out how to deal with the remnants of the explosion. Today is my daughter's 36th birthday! Where have the years gone? I know this is cliché but the cliché is certainly true. Shelley is always been the inquisitive child, the smart child the turning the stone over child to see what was underneath. A number of years ago, shortly after the birth of her first daughter she began inquiring about my birth parents. As early readers of the blog might remember I am an adopted child and it is quite a convoluted story. I do not have the time or well to go into that now. Anyway, I've never had really any desire to find out anything about my biological parents. I have always felt committed to my adopted parents and family will always made me feel a part of the herd specially since all of us more or less adopted in my family one way or the other. Shelley I'm sure there are other reasons but now being a parent she wanted to know what she might need to be aware of genetically speaking particularly health issue if there are any. Shelley's questions makes sense.

Over the years I have felt jealous often on those members of my family that you actually blood related to each other (it's a bizarre story). They know where they come from they know who they are you looking at each other and see characteristics in common. My older brother Ross and myself are the only real adoptees from outside the family. Still have not had a desire to trace out my lineage for my biological roots. Now that my mother has passed and I know she would not have minded and I searched my lineage for which you might now. In fact I'm sure she would encourage me to do so. With the advent of private companies doing genetic research that seems to mushroomed everywhere now I've been a little curious. What would they find?

About a month ago my daughter informed me she was going to take part in one of those DNA research programs and wanted to know if I'd be upset if she did. I told her no I did not have a problem. And she did it. She contacted AncestryDNA went to the process and oddly enough today, on her birthday she got the results! It was pretty exciting not only for her but for me as well because it did shed some light am. But I was not prepared for was that part of that project is that Ancestry DNA also provides the person with links to other people with similar finding i.e. probable relatives, blood relatives! In some cases they actually publish the pictures of some of these folks, those folks who want to connect with other folks with the same DNA signatures. Shelley even sent me the image of one such person who does seem to resemble me and is also an adopted child! That might be just coincidental I don't know but I believe Shelley's going to make contact to this person lives in New Mexico. There is also other “family” possibilities in Santaquin it's really not too far from me here in Salt Lake. Too bizarre.

I have to be honest it's really feel spooky, I'm having a bit of anxiety about what the next steps will render. I don't understand everything about Ancestry DNA but I want to go with what comes up. I may even consider spitting into a bottle and send it away and see what comes up













No comments: