Tuesday, May 01, 2018

May Day




My cleaning person, Cindy, has not been to my apartment, for one reason or another, for what seems like at least a month. The issues of timing, anniversaries and illnesses have prevented my place from being cleaned. Entropy had taken its toll on the apartment. I've tried to keep the place up and my home health professional does a great job but a minimal job. Work that she does do is voluntary and secondary to her main job which is given me a shower and doing my toileting. Cindy usually comes on Tuesday mornings when she does come and I am usually gone to my Assist Inc. meeting. Today the meeting was canceled so I was here and Cindy came to clean the apartment.

We visited briefly and Cindy got to work but I could tell I was in the way. I really cannot work on my writing when someone else is present because I usually dictate what I write which would be awkward at best and impossible with vacuum cleaner noise and other noises. I went down to check my mail and visited with office staff at the front of the apartments. However, I still ended up coming back and being in the way. I had to be gone plain and simple.

The morning was getting late so I figured why not go next door to the Taylorsville senior center and see what was happening.  I have not used the senior center as I probably should over the time I have lived in the apartments. The place is just so geriatric I've never felt like I fit in. I wonder if anyone does. The the center serves a meal meal over lunch. Payment is voluntary. The voluntary suggestion of payment is two dollars it seems fair. I figured if I hang out for thelunch,  Cindy should have the apartment finished by the time I get done with the meal. I checked out the menu roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy and whatever vegetables they can pull out of the food bank. What the hell it's worth the crap shoot.

I'm surprised how many people are already seated at tables. I did not count on the day being the birthday lunch. On the first lunch of the month at the senior center they have the birthday lunch, all participants of the center will have birthdays in this month get a free meal and serenaded with “Happy birthday”.I suspect a lot of folks grab their tables early so that they control who they sit next to or even who sets at their table. I hear a rumbling type noise in the background it takes me a few seconds to realize the noise is amplified singing/music like a rock concert but it's not a rock concert. I look around the corner there on the little stage is a black man dressed in a cowboy hat and some kind of uniform singing while at the same time playing keyboard. He was actually playing rock 'n roll! I cannot believe that. He was not playing hard-core rock 'n roll but the classics old Beatles songs and beach boys and other classics from the 60s. Again, softer versions of the original offerings but rock 'n roll just the same. Geriatric head bobbing up and down and smiles cut the corners of lips… even mine. There even folks dancing by themselves like at a concert – – toward the end of this gentleman's concert there were a couple even dancing with each other I have to admit it was great see this happening. The troubadour was obviously engaged to play until 12 noon. I suppose I've missed about half of the concert which is a shame the concert was darling. But I listened to a few more organ versions of these rock classics I think I would've even gotten out and “danced” a little and smiled a lot had I been there from the beginning.


No comments: