Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Smoke Em If You Got Em



I don't remember when I first became infatuated with the concept of smoking. I was raised in a family where smoking was forbidden. I was brought up in a religion where smoking was forbidden and I suppose that is where my desire to smoke originated. Being born in the 50s I was right in the middle of America's fixation on smoking. R.J. Reynolds and the boys were just getting a good handhold on the population. A country which was just minimally smoking following World War I really got the habit in the second great war as did those who produced cigarettes and push them on the soldiers in Europe and elsewhere.

I didn't have a chance. Smoke laced every television show I loved from from I love Lucy to My Three Sons everyone smoked. Granted, Fred McMurray just smoked a pipe but smoke is smoke and I wanted to smoke every chance that I got. My best friends, the Cantrells were Roman Catholic and their dad smoked which I thought was the coolest thing ever. I love the smell of his pipe which permeated the house and overwhelmed me each time I entered. On those nights I slept over on weekends we would lay on the floor and watch the color TV (they are the only people in the world had a color television) Mr. Cantrell had this great green overstuffed recliner. A pipe rack sat next to the chair with four or five pipes waiting to be filled, lit and puffed. There was a lamp just over the right side of the recliner and when Mr. Cantrell lit his pipe I was mesmerized by Jets of blue smoke leaving his face.

John Cantrell, my best friend, and I read Mark Twain's greats Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn both documents illustrating the joys of kids smoking. The characters smoked corn cob pipes we made corncob pipes, we cured cornsilk and hollyhock leaves since we did not have access to tobacco. Cornsilk smokes quick and hot and rather do hollyhock leaves and if you don't have hollyhock leaves any dried leaf will do. Mr. Cantrell smokes cigarettes and he worked we stole cigarettes with it we could. In the old days cigarettes were sold right from the grocery store there always rows of cigarettes right behind the cash register easy pickings. I had to be careful many of the cigarettes is not almost all that I could get a hold of were non-filters and the tobacco would always get on your teeth which is a dead giveaway to parents who are hypervigilant about the kids smoking. I always got caught so I did not smoke that much the penalty was too high.

Once I was away from home is not often on over the decades of my life. My last bout of smoking occurred with my last marriage. I smoked off and on a little before we got together but afterwards we smoked a lot. We were often on and towards the end of the marriage I had given up smoking again primarily because I was fairly addicted (which I hate addiction of any sort) and when I would smoke too much I would get this rattling in my chest which scared me. It came across a number of folks as emphysema and of course lung cancer which are great deterrents. The chest rattling seem to me the greater of the two deterrents – – I can see smoking leading directly to emphysema which I think has most helped me quit.

I got on this tangent about smoking because yesterday somewhere I remember telling somebody how much I love to smoke. This is true, after everything I've written, I love to smoke and I would still be smoking is not for the chest rattles and fear of the rattles becoming more significant and deadly. I know smoking is stupid and I doubt that I will smoke again but still the fascination with the chest full of blue smoke jetting from my nose lingers on…

No comments: